Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ldiaz
Frequent Visitor

Power BI & Harvest API

Looking for some assistance with integrating the Harvest API (getharvest.com) with the Power BI API. I'm not nearly savvy enough to do this on my own but I know someone here probably is. Any ideas friends?

Luis

12 REPLIES 12
Tuney8

Hi All

I know this post it OLD, but I do have a Harvest Connector that I built a few years back. 

I'm updating it at the moment as the API changed since I last used it. 

If anyone wants to work with me on this give me a ping as I was going to open source it onto GitHub and it would be nice to have some contributors and people who want to use it. 

Chris

nicstt
Helper I
Helper I

I was in the same boat; I have the REST APIs working, but the rate limits and 429 response codes that keep popping up were so annoying.

I actually started looking around for alternatives and came across this: Tugger. They do a Harvest Integration with Power BI. I hadn't really thought about the Data Warehouse at this stage, but as they also do that, it's lookin' like a great alternative.

smishra
Frequent Visitor

hey all, 

Been using Postman to test the harvest GET requests. works fine. It's just too much manual work. I know a bit of coding here and  there but not enough to create a script that does the run for me . 

Did anyone get to a solution to this one which is more feasible? 

PowerBiUser11

Hi @omarkus,

I'm also very interested in hearing about your solution.

Thanks

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ldiaz

What would you like to do when integrating the Harvest API (getharvest.com) with the Power BI?

Typical cases I think of are:

case 1: Using Power BI Desktop.

1. Using get data->other->web to consume the Harvest API to get retrieve data. Check Get Data from Twitter API with Power Query. This demo is for Twitter but shows how Power Query calling REST APIs. As to Harvest, you can follow the same approach with Harvest specific details.
  2. Design reports and publish to Power BI Serivce.
  3. Schdule refresh via Power BI Gateway.

case 2: Using Power BI REST API

1. Getting data from Harvest in, say C# code via the Harvest API. As this step is Harvest specific, if you have any question about this step, you shall ask for help from the Harvest support.
  2. Create dataset and push data via Power BI REST API.
  3. Create a report in Power BI service basing on the dataset in step 2.
  4. Keep pushing data into the dataset.

Thanks for your quick reply @Eric_Zhang. Sounds like option #1 would be the most feasibly solution for me. I'll have to give that a try. Gateway has really never worked for me; I think this is a security issue on our network. I might just keep the data in OneDrive for Business and schedule the refreshes that way. Thanks for your suggestions/assistance!

Hi @Idiaz

How did your test go - did you manage to connect to Harvest directly from Power BI? I currently have the same challenge and would love to hesr your experience..? Regards Chris

I had the same need.

It's actually pretty comliplicated to connect BI tools directly to Harvest. I ended up building a separate application that connects to the Harvest API and pulls all data to a separate database, which I then connected to my BI tool. Happy to provide more details on the solution.

it definitely is complicated. I always get stuck at the authentication step. not sure if its @power BI or Harvest. 

Hi @omarkus

Very keen to understand how you did this. I am trying to do a very similar thing. 

Hi Omarkus,

I am very interested in your solution through building a separate application. That sounds very interesting.

Hi @Idiaz

How did your test go - did you manage to connect to Harvest directly from Power BI? I currently have the same challenge and would love to hesr your experience..? Regards Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors