Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ankitmane
Frequent Visitor

Power BI - SQL server Analysis Servicer Database

I select Get data under that i select SQL server Analysis Servicer Database..and put the server name and database name (which is my cube) and i click on connect live option (since i want to publish it to pyramid analytics BI-Office). But it automatically moves (clicks) to import data. It doesnt allow me to connect live. Any solutions?

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ankitmane,

I have tested this scenario as yours, and provide details about this issue in the similar thread that Eno1978 posts.

It requires an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server Analysis Services when you connect to SSAS 2012 CU4 (or SSAS 2014) Multidimensional instance (MD) instance from Power BI Desktop using live connection option. If you connect to Standard edition of SSAS 2014 MD instance or SSAS 2012 MD instance via “Connect live” option in Desktop, the issue you describe will occur. In this case, please use Enterprise or BI edition of SSAS instead if you use SQL Server 2014 or SQL Server 2012 and want to use “Connect live” option.

By the way, you should be able to connect to SSAS 2016 Standard MD instance from Desktop using “Connect live” option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We are using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 11.0.2100.60 (2012) and this is an Enterprise Edition still it is showing the same problem.

Hi @ankitmane,

Agree with Eno1978. In your scenario, please apply Service Pack 3 for SQL Server 2012 , also make sure SSAS meets the version and edtion requirements which are mentioned in my previous reply.

You can check SSAS version and edition following the instructions in this blog:https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/321185 .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@ankitmane Your issue may be due to the fact that you are running the 2012 RTM version... you should really consider updating your instance to the highest level for many other reasons, but that could be the issue. There is nothing in the Tabular model documentation that relates directly to limitations, but "SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4" is a requirement for MD, I'm making the assumption that it is also a requirement for Tabular as well.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@ankitmane Is there another object in your model already? If you want to connect live, you can only connect to the one SSAS instance within the Desktop.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

No, we have only one instance. I can import data from it but cannot connect live.

@ankitmane What version of SQL are you running? The same behaviour you describe was posted here when the end user was using Standard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors