Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nileriver
Regular Visitor

Power BI Not Syncing Dynamics CRM Data

I have followed the instruction on how to connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online but Power BI never pulls in the data. I get past all of the screens including authentication. It then takes me to the dashboard and says Loading - this may take awhile. It then never grabs the data. Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

7 REPLIES 7
bblais
Resolver III
Resolver III

I too have had the same issue and my colleague opened a ticket with MS, and so far the answer is that we may have too much data so the load is timing out after 30 minutes...

Hi there.

I'm facing a similar problem with power BI with one table, which has more than 800.000 records in Microsoft CRM on-line. I can run a refresh in Power bI Desktop, but I cant schedule the update on the portal. I presume this has something to do we amount of data it tries to pull from CRM.

Did you get any workaround from Microsoft, or have you found a workaround other than "Ooh too much data". The best option would be to able to put a filter in the odata selection, I dont think this is possible.

Here's the workbook from the content pack, see if you can connect and refresh this in Excel:

https://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/Applications/12884985960

You say "Dashboard" - so I'm assuming you are trying to connect via the PBI site and the Content Pack for CRM.

I don't mean to ruin your day, but it would appear that depending on how the CRM environment is set up, or how much data there is, this problem seems to be had by quite a few people (including myself). I am not aware of any Microsoft provided solutions or avenues they have presented to pursue.

I don't know of any work arounds to get the connection to work on the site, but I have has some success connecting and pulling in limited sections of data via PBI Desktop.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I am trying to use the website to connect to it. It looks like it might be related to the amount of data we have.

I was able to use the CRM Online content pack successfully and didn't run into any issues, but we don't have a massive amount of information in CRM and I have as much access as you can have to the environment. You could try checking all of the roles for your login in CRM and see if it is some kind of permissions thing. If it is the size of the data, I also have not seen any resolution to that. I agree, I have noted a number of posts like yours on these forums.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The user used for authentication is a system admin. We do have a fair amount of data, so not sure if that is the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors