Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zrichardson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop with One Drive Sync

I have created a report using a local excel file to develop the report. My goal is to use OneDrive to automatically update this report. However, when I change the source to a OneDrive file, it isn't updating. I have been reading, and it seems this is because I am using Power BI Desktop to create the report. To have an in-sync dashboard, I would need to use the get data source - file - OneDrive for Business. However, in my report I have measures and columns that I need to get the stats that I want. Is there a way to use Power BI online to connect to a datasource and then upload the report that I built? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zrichardson,

In your scenario, you can import your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive. When you refresh the dataset, it uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. Assume Excel file contains typed data without external connections, you can follow below two ways:

Method1:

1. In Power BI Desktop, get data from local Excel file, save report as .PBIX file. Then upload the .PBIX file to OneDrive for Business.

2. In Power BI Service, create a File type data source under on-premises data gateway ( make sure on-premise data gateway exists on the same server as Excel file).

3. Click Get Data ->Files-> OneDrive-Business, then check the uploaded .PBIX file.

4. Set schedule refresh for the dataset.

Method2:

1. Upload local Excel file to OneDrive for Business.

2. In Power BI Desktop, get data from uploaded Excel, save and upload .PBIX file to OneDrive for Business.

3. In Power BI Service, click Get Data ->Files-> OneDrive-Business, then check the uploaded .PBIX file.

Reference:
Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zrichardson,

In your scenario, you can import your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive. When you refresh the dataset, it uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. Assume Excel file contains typed data without external connections, you can follow below two ways:

Method1:

1. In Power BI Desktop, get data from local Excel file, save report as .PBIX file. Then upload the .PBIX file to OneDrive for Business.

2. In Power BI Service, create a File type data source under on-premises data gateway ( make sure on-premise data gateway exists on the same server as Excel file).

3. Click Get Data ->Files-> OneDrive-Business, then check the uploaded .PBIX file.

Method2:

1. Upload local Excel file to OneDrive for Business.

2. In Power BI Desktop, get data from uploaded Excel, save and upload .PBIX file to OneDrive for Business.

3. In Power BI Service, click Get Data ->Files-> OneDrive-Business, then check the uploaded .PBIX file.

Reference:
Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi 

We have added a video on how to auto refresh  / sync OneDrive for Business with the Power BI Service on:

http://power-bi-training1.teachable.com/p/power-bi-free-tutorial-videos/

Heart

Will method two work? If I have an excel sheet that will be updated every hour, how is the pbix file going to see those changes and update the dataset? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors