Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimenJ
Frequent Visitor

Possible to utilize Dynamics CRM Online security settings outside of Content Pack?

As far as I understand, the Power BI Content Pack for Dynamics CRM Online utilises the security settings already implemented in Dynamics Online, so that a user will only see her data in Power BI.

Is there a way that these security settings can be utilised also when not using the Content Pack? It would seem to be unneccessary to recreate the security settings from scratch in the Power BI Model and maintain them in two places instead of just in Dynamics Online. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you use the data connector for Power BI to Dynamics CRM it will also use the security context of the user connecting when extracting the data. Not sure if that is what you are going for. But, no, if you import ALL of the data, you would have to configure RLS to replicate security in Dynamics CRM.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SimenJ,

The security settings for users on Dynamics CRM side will also apply when users get data from Dynamics CRM both in Power BI desktop and Power BI service content pack.

After importing the data, Power BI provide RLS to limit user accessed data on Power BI side. Depend on which data you want to let end users to see, you can set roles based on your requirement. See: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you use the data connector for Power BI to Dynamics CRM it will also use the security context of the user connecting when extracting the data. Not sure if that is what you are going for. But, no, if you import ALL of the data, you would have to configure RLS to replicate security in Dynamics CRM.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, that's what I thought.

But is there a way to extract the user security context in CRM and use it to set up RLS in the Power BI model?

-Simen

@SimenJ No, RLS is a feature based on the report imported to Power BI, we are not able to use CRM security context to set RLS roles. Please review the link about RLS posted in my previous post.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors