Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LetBloodline
Frequent Visitor

Personal gateway didn't create a service Windows Server 2008

Hi all

I'm installing Power BI personal gateway on a Windows server 2008 and as far as i can see the gateway didn't install any services, instead it add the config on the list of on login executions. This means that if i disconnect from remote desktop the gateway will be shut down. Is this for the windows version or i'm missing something somewhere? Is there any way to solve this problem?

Kind regards

Ecoretti Stefano

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LetBloodline,

Personal gateway can run as a windows service when use administrator permission. Please download the latest personal gateway version. See: Windows account.

q1.PNG

Based on my test, as long as the machine installed the personal gateway is running, the personal gateway shouldn't be shut down.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Alberto here is my collegue, while i'm working with PowerBI but i'm unfamiliar with services and such. Since he is very capable in this area I asked him to help me figure out what could be wrong with the tecnical aspect of the installation of the gateway since the service is not installed as stated before. We tried on a different virtual machine with same version of Windows and we got the same problem. No service created

It would be nice if you could help us understand if the lack of installation of the service is due to the version of Windows (Windows server 2008 R2) or something else. In the first case we need some alternative to keep the Gateway running, in the second we need to understand what's the real source of the problem

Could you please confirm you have done your tests using Windows Server 2008 and NOT Windows Server 2012, since the question clearly states that's the operating system displaying such behaviour?

To be precise, I have good reason to believe the question was about Windows Server 2008 R2. But the screenshot you've enclosed in your message tells me you've done your test using Server 2012, and this can mean that you posted an unrelated screenshot (less probable, since it would have been easier and more correct to do the test and take a screenshot instead of searching an unrelated picture) or that you did your test in Server 2012, as the interface design and the "Services (local)" part of the screenshot suggest.

To be even more precise, your results are completely inconsistent with my own tests which have been done on two different machines running Server 2008 R2, although I'm absolutely no expert when it comes to PowerBI.

Regards,

Alberto Garbino

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors