Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zeel801p
Frequent Visitor

Oracle Connector Leaving Open Connections

So I recently started using Power BI with our oracle server to build some reports. What I have noticed and it has caused severe issues is that when I go to refresh my data, Power BI (via "Oracle Connection" and a tnsnames.ora file) are opening about 20-30 new connections on the server (Red Hat with Oracle DB, currently on-prem in process of being moved to AWS). This is not too much of an issue but the connections are not being dropped once the data refresh is done. I do not know too much about Linux but they are sitting in an "ESTABLISHED" status. This obviously presents a problem because 30 new connections will max out most servers within 3-4 refreshes (considering other outside users, connections, etc). Even more odd is that OLE DB connection via Excel on the same machine using the same tnsnames.ora files does not cause this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

23 REPLIES 23

I find it hard to believe that other Oracle users are not having issue with this many open connections. I am working on splitting my reports into several smaller reports to account for this but it is not an ideal situation. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@zeel801p,

To force Power BI gateway to flush out its connections after refreshing, you would need to periodically run a similar script suggested by brendan_w in the following thread to restart gateway.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Possible-BUG-Power-BI-Personal-Gateway-D...

Replace GWConfig.exe with EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe in the script that brendan_w provides , and the EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe locates in C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

Regards,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion, is there any way to apply this to PowerBI Desktop. We do not currently have the gateway setup because of some firewall (and the flushing) issue and your advice will be helpful for down the road. But currently we are just having this issue when we click refresh on the desktop application. 

Edit: I also noticed that once I close out of the desktop application, the connection still continues to remain open. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors