Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

krautrocker
Frequent Visitor

On-premises Data Gateway - Technical Question

Hi! I've read a whole lot of documentation detailing the On-premises Data Gateway but I'm not sure that I understand a fundamental aspect of how the service works. I only need a quick confirmation or correction if necessary.

To set up and deploy a Gateway:

1.) Install the gateway on a server or machine that is always on;

2.) Check connections for the Gateway under Power BI service to make sure it exists;

3.) Add data sources in the Gateway where the Gateway was installed;

4.) Add users to the user list so that they can access reports;

Now:

1.) I assume that each user does NOT need to install a gateway on their machine. They simply need to log into their PowerBI account and view reports. Is that correct? The Gateway is just that - a gateway that acts a bridge to the data source, as described in the documentation.

2.) Do users connect to the actual data source on-premise or do I need to publish the report to my PowerBI site and users connect to the data in the cloud?

That's it for now. I have folks on my end saying "it's the cloud it's the cloud it's the cloud womp womp" so I want to see how this exactly works in order to explain it correctly. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi @krautrocker,
1,2,3 are correct.

#4) If you want to share the report, you share it from the report itself. The users list for the gateway is there to allow more people use your gateway to publish different reports they own. 

For your assumptions:
1.) I assume that each user does NOT need to install a gateway on their machine. They simply need to log into their PowerBI account and view reports. Is that correct? The Gateway is just that - a gateway that acts a bridge to the data source, as described in the documentation.

[Dimah] This is 100% correct 

2.) Do users connect to the actual data source on-premise or do I need to publish the report to my PowerBI site and users connect to the data in the cloud?

[Dimah] Depends which data source and how your report is connected to it. Most cases the refresh query will use the account you used to connect to the data source from Manage gateways->Add data source. But if you're using Analysis Services Live connection, we pass the service account for users looking at the report, and if they have access to the on-prem data source they can see data other wise they won;t. This is special for Live connection on Analysis services only.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi @krautrocker,
1,2,3 are correct.

#4) If you want to share the report, you share it from the report itself. The users list for the gateway is there to allow more people use your gateway to publish different reports they own. 

For your assumptions:

[Dimah] This is 100% correct 

[Dimah] Depends which data source and how your report is connected to it. Most cases the refresh query will use the account you used to connect to the data source from Manage gateways->Add data source. But if you're using Analysis Services Live connection, we pass the service account for users looking at the report, and if they have access to the on-prem data source they can see data other wise they won;t. This is special for Live connection on Analysis services only.

@dimazaid Thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. It's also great to talk to Microsoft staff. I would be interested in speaking with a partner as well, if they are available to us.

I accept this solution (and will mark it so). Is any data actually stored in the cloud or just transferred securely via the Gateway? Our data security team will want to know the answer to this question.

You're welcome.
Here's a link to the PowerBI security docs: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors