Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

swenck
Frequent Visitor

On Premises Data Gateway - PBI Service cannot connect to Local On Premises SSAS Instance

I have SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition installed on my laptop (local machine - not connected to a domain).  SSAS is in MD Mode.  Successfully installed and configured the On Premises Data Gateway and created two data sources, one for SQL Server and one for Analysis Services.  These data sources successfully connect from the Gateway.  All works as expected for SQL Server with the PBI Service and my local instance including scheduled refresh.

However, I am having problems with connecting to my On-Premises local SSAS instance through the PBI Service using the Gateway.  I have the Map user name set up as Replace is the email I sign into PBI Service and the With is the machinename\username account on my laptop.  I am getting this message:  There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.  The local account used is an Admin on the machine and is an Admin in SSAS.

Based on the message I assume it is looking for a logon server on my local machine.  Is this scenario not supported?  Trying to test PBI Service with connection to local ssas instance via the Gateway.  Any workarounds or suggestions would be appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @swenck,

Yes, the scenario you describe is not supported. Both gateway and SSAS server need to be on domain-joined machines.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
swenck
Frequent Visitor

On my local machine (not connected to a domain) I have SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition (SSAS is in MD Mode).  I have successfully installed and configured the Gateway and successfully created two data sources (one for SQL Server and one for Analysis Services) to my On-Premises local instances.

For SQL Server everything using the Gateway is working just fine including the scheduled refresh.  However, with Analysis Services I am having problems.  From the PBI Service Get Data I try to connect to my local SSAS instance using the Gateway and receive the message below.  I am using the Map user name with Replace containing the e-mail I sign into the PBI Service with and the With with the local machine account (machinename\username)- which is an admin on the machine and an Admin in SSAS.  Based on the error message apparently it is looking for a logon server on my local machine.  Is this scenario not supported?  I am trying to test out the Gateway within the confines of my local environment - any workarounds or suggestions?

Date: 2016-09-08 17:08:13Z (UTC)
Error text: The following system error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Hi @swenck

As stated in this article, the email address you use to log in Power BI Service should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory domain. The login will not be successful if no match is found in Active Directory.

In your scenario, you would need to make your local machine as a part of Active Directory, then add a new user into your Active directory, with same name that you registered in the Power BI account. Then, change UPN of the user in Active directory to that of your Power BI user. For more detailed steps, please review this blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia - thank you for the response.  Just so I am clear then - the scenario I described  above is not supported if my laptop is not in a domain.  (It is only in a Workgroup). 

You see - I am a remote user in my company and we do not authenticate to a domain when logging into the the machine, rather we log in locally to the machine.  I have SQL Server Developer Edition installed locally but again the computer is not part of a domain.  So I assume there is no way to get the On Premises Data Gateway to connect to my local SSAS instance even if the Gateway is configured on this machine?

Hi @swenck,

Yes, the scenario you describe is not supported. Both gateway and SSAS server need to be on domain-joined machines.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks Lydia.

Hi @swenck,

It is better that you mark helpful replies rather than your own reply as answer. That way, other community members could benefit from the actual solution.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors