Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xerxel
Advocate II
Advocate II

Need your JOIN/MERGE brainpower/skills please

Hello All,

Situation: I have data in a table in SFDC with 250,000 rows and many columns. I only care about 200 of the rows. There is no way to filter the table from SFDC to select the 200 rows. I have a table in Sharepoint which contains the 200 unique IDs of the rows from SFDC that I care about. These change daily.

If I use PowerBI merge functionality, PowerBI tries to download a quarter of a million rows then does the join which takes along time: 10+ mins. I tried writing a dynamic select statement but when the select statement gets too long, the web api request to SFDC fails.

Does anyone know how I can get PowerBI to select the IDs from one table1 and use them as a filter on  table2 BEFORE it downloads the entire data set from table2?

Thanks in advance!

Xerxel

3 REPLIES 3
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @xerxel

Other than the Merge Step, I don't see any other functionality would fit in your scenario as you have mentioned that using SELECT will not work in your case. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

So you are merging on JoinKind.Inner and it doesn't fold to the source?

Then you could chunk up your SELECT-statement into multiple queries and append the results. Just create a table which holds the chunks for each query in one row and pass them as parameters into your SELECT-statement. Expanding the resulting column should then present your consolidated results.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Good idea! Haven't tried using parameters anywhere yet. Will give it a try!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors