Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Roseventura
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Need help with Authentication issues between MS Power BI and our on-premises data gateway server

I am in the process of setting up MS Power BI for my company.  We installed the On-premises Date Gateway on a Microsoft server.  Since all of the data files will be coming from this server and going up to Power BI, it made the most sense to install the gateway on this server.  Plus this server remains on 24/7.

If you log into the Diver server you can see that the Gateway is running properly.

Capturea.JPG

However, when I try to set up the data sets on Power BI, I receive:  Error: Unable to Connect. Details: "Invalid connection credentials".   At first we suspected problems with authentication, bit I confirmed with our network security that I’m using my correct ID and windows password and that I have the admin access to this server. 

Here is the full error I’m getting when I try to set up my data sets:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to D:\diverroot\DI_NuhoArw\Temp\PBI. Details: "Invalid connection credentials."Hide details

Activity ID:    8b3816d7-9dc0-42ec-91c3-88bc04c6443b

Request ID:     73554282-392e-6e3d-750e-0bea9276bf59

Cluster URI:    https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Status code:    400

Error Code:     DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidConnectionCredentials

Time: Mon May 01 2017 15:18:10 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

Version:   13.0.1700.2008

Underlying error code:     -2147467259

Underlying error message:  The credentials provided for the File source are invalid. (Source at d:\diverroot\di_nuhoarw\temp\pbi.)

DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:   -2147467259

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourceKind:  File

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourcePath:     D:\diverroot\DI_NuhoArw\Temp\PBI

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.Reason:     AccessUnauthorized

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources:     [{"kind":"File","path":"D:\\diverroot\\DI_NuhoArw\\Temp\\PBI"}]

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason:     AccessUnauthorized

Troubleshoot connection problems

I've been working with our internal support and have been scouring the tech support links, but everything that we have tried results in the same error or something similar.

We also tried uploading the source files to OneDrive and tried to set up the Data Source to look there, but it times out.

Can someone help withi this problem?  Also, I am not a PowerBI Pro subscriber (yet) so I'm not able to create a support ticket.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Roseventura,

Please Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview), then open it in Power BI desktop. Go to Data source Settings, all listed data sources need to be added in data gateway. And when you create data source in data gateway, connection information must be the same as used in desktop.

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Log onto the Server that is hosting the Power BI Gateway and attempt to access "D:\diverroot\DI_NuhoArw\Temp\PBI".  Do you have any issues?

Looks to me like the credentials you have supplied aren't correct to connect to that folder and/or drive.

Ross,

I did as you suggested and yes, I do have access to that folder.  I have admin rights.  But something you said made me think of looking into the correct PATH as it is from the server.  Up until now I was entering the full path as

\\IPADDRESS\diverroot\di_nuhoarw\temp\PBI

What I realized after your response was that since the drive is partitioned (Drives C: and D:), and this path is on drive D:, I had to loo to see what Drive D was called.  In this case it's called "ProDiver".  So I changed my full path to:

\\IPADDRESS\ProDiver\diverroot\di_nuhoarw\temp\PBI

and it worked!!  So you may not have specifically suggested adding the drive name, but you got me thinking so for that I am thankful!  HOWEVER, I do have another problem now. 

I was able to add all my Data Sources, but now I cannot connect to the NEW gateway.  Initially, when I first started working with PowerBI, I installed a Personal gateway on my laptop.  But now that I have the Enterprise Gateway installed on this server, when I try to schedule a refresh, the Data Gateway is not active (see below).  I even tried uninstalling the personal gateway, but it still won't give me the option to choose the Data Gateway.

capture2.jpg

Hi @Roseventura,

Please Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview), then open it in Power BI desktop. Go to Data source Settings, all listed data sources need to be added in data gateway. And when you create data source in data gateway, connection information must be the same as used in desktop.

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft  , i did the same thing but it's not workign for me and showing the same error. Could you please help me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are very close then!  Did you notice how you had to change your Source Path.  The source paths have to match.  Even though they reference the same destination, the path is what matters most.  So if your Gateway uses "\\IPADDRESS\ProDiver\diverroot\di_nuhoarw\temp\PBI", then you will need to have that in your uploading file too

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors