Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rhsu_webmd
Regular Visitor

Need Clarification: On-premise gateway data and publish from Power BI desktop

Hi,

I set-up the on-premise gateway and it works fine that refresh the dataset everyday.

The only thing is when I make some changes in the power bi desktop and try to publish it, it always ask me to confirm the dataset would be replaced.

Does it mean I need to refresh the data in the desktop everytime before the publish? I am ok with the data we got from the gateway and I really don't want the desktop publish to overwrite/replace the newer data from the gateway.

I even think about if it is possible to publish the report without the data? Since we already have the data we need from the gateway.

2 REPLIES 2
Histailley536

They started using spotify web play. For that reason, spotify login Consequently, these are the attributes that are very important.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rhsu_webmd,

When you publish the pbix file, as long as the dataset has the same name exists in Power BI service, it will prompt you to replace the original one with new. You needn't to refresh in desktop every time then republish it. After you replace the original dataset, the new dataset also be configured to use data gateway (assume you didn't add any other data source in desktop) automatically, you can click Refresh Now to make the dataset to have latest data.

Or you can rename the new pbix file with a different name from the original dataset. When you publish it, you needn't to replace any dataset.

Besides, we are not able to publish the report without any data currently. You can vote this idea up: Save Report and/or Dataset in separate files:

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors