Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

victorinox
Frequent Visitor

Narratives API issue

hello,

we want to experiment with Narratives for Power BI but are not able to get it working. Even with a sample dataset of 4 records with 1 dimension and 1 value

GroupQTY
A10
B20
C25
D77

We get the failure of

"Could not write a story because the narrative extension could not interpret the data or there was an issue with the Narratives for Power Bi API"

We tested that there's no firewall blocking, e.g. we can reach https://api.quillengage.com/v1/report

Is the app not working anymore maybe? 

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@victorinox,

Do you use Narratives for Power BI as described in this blog? If so, as it is published by Narrative Science, please contact Narrative Science support here.

Alternatively, you can send email to narratives4powerbi@narrativescience.com about this issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am having the same problem.  This custom visual stopped working on some data I had applied to it in my company.  To eliminate user error on my part, I downloaded the sample which failed for the same reason.

Has this problem been admitted to exist?  Fixed?

I contacted The company (via a link on the MS custoin visual download website) and was promptl;y sent a newer version that worked just fine. I tried everything else first and as a last resort cointacted them because big companies like that never respond... normally, but in this case they were awesome, super helpful and an email following up to check it's working. Here is the text of the email he sent:

Hi there!

I manage support for our Narratives for Power BI extension at Narrative Science and would be happy to help you.

The Narratives for Power BI extension has recently been updated with new code to fix an API issue we encountered.  Select users may need to download a fresh extension file for this their extension to work successfully. I would be happy to send you a new extension file to try. Could you send an email to narratives4powerbi@narrativescience.com with your contact information and where to send this new extension file?

Thank you!
Mickey Rausch

Product Support 

Narrative Science

I just don't know why the version they sent me is not inthe marketplace yet.

Thanks for the follow up.   It is very nice that the company owning the visual is responsive.  It is more disappointing to see that there is very little quality control at the Custom Visual Store.  I was expecting this to be more rigorously governed than that.

Thanks for sharing your success in getting a Narrative API fix.

I think the wider question is- is it working for the rest of the community. I have used it in the past and it works very well. I have a demo on Friday that I wanted to use it for but it doesn't seem be working. I know the offical line is contact Narrative science but is it working for anyone at the moment and if so which version of the visualisation and which version of the desktop. I've tried Jan18 and Nov17 and neither work with it.

Any thoughts?

Hi there!

I manage support for our Narratives for Power BI extension at Narrative Science and would be happy to help you.

The Narratives for Power BI extension has recently been updated with new code to fix an API issue we encountered.  Select users may need to download a fresh extension file for this their extension to work successfully. I would be happy to send you a new extension file to try. Could you send an email to narratives4powerbi@narrativescience.com with your contact information and where to send this new extension file?

Thank you!
Mickey Rausch

Product Support 

Narrative Science

I have experienced this same issue.  I deleted the custom visual and reloaded it.  Presumably this would bring the code back in.  It failed.  The example code from microsoft should have the right API, correct?  But it fails as well.

Is there a workaround?  Is this going to be fixed at the Micrsoft Store?

Hi dcasiala,

The Narratives for Power BI extension has recently been updated with new code to fix an API issue we encountered.  Select users may need to download a fresh extension file for this their extension to work successfully. I would be happy to send you a new extension file to try. Could you send an email to narratives4powerbi@narrativescience.com with your contact information and where to send this new extension file?

Thank you!
Mickey Rausch

Product Support 

Narrative Science

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors