Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Melt Desktop/Online/Mobile refresh and update

Hello,

I'm a newbie here today and I use PBI few months ago.

I would like many informations about "Reports" and "Dashboards" (update and refrash).

I want many tiles on my phone so I need a dashboard (not a report) => So I have to make a dashboard on PBI online (I can't do a dashboard with PBID).

But PBID is more evolved than PBI online => I make a pbix files with all my needs (connection with SSAS Tab Cube) and I "Get datas" with PBI online.

Then, I get my tiles. It's working.

My questions :

Can I move the pbix file?

When I update this file, what about my tiles?

And what about my repoart/dashboard when the Tab Cube is upadated?

Many thanks to all of you!

PS : If these problems is already solved, sorry, I didn't find it...just let me the link, no worry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Once you upload the PBIX file, it is turned into a data set. It is no longer linked to your PBIX file per se so yes, you can move the original PBIX file if that is your question.

You do not want to update the file, you want to update the data set in the Service. You will need the Analysis Services Gateway installed to facilitate the refresh. You can download it for free but you need a Pro account for it to work. Your dashboard tiles will update when the data set updates.

You will want to schedule the refresh of your data source from the tabular cube at a point after your tabular cube updates so that you ensure you have the latest data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Once you upload the PBIX file, it is turned into a data set. It is no longer linked to your PBIX file per se so yes, you can move the original PBIX file if that is your question.

You do not want to update the file, you want to update the data set in the Service. You will need the Analysis Services Gateway installed to facilitate the refresh. You can download it for free but you need a Pro account for it to work. Your dashboard tiles will update when the data set updates.

You will want to schedule the refresh of your data source from the tabular cube at a point after your tabular cube updates so that you ensure you have the latest data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great!

I didn't understand that the pbix become a dataset. Thank you.

So, if I want update my tiles, I have to update the dataset, not the pbix file.

Thanx for your answer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors