Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dualsweat
Frequent Visitor

MS Dynamics CRM and POwer BI - Missing Custom Fields

Hello All,

I am n00b and I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

I am using MS Dyanamics 2016 (Cloud) and Power BI online to create reports.

I used the Dynamics CRM template for POwer BI and POwer BI created a whole bunch of reports automtically. Unfirtuantely, the reports it created did not use any of the 'custom fields' that I have created in CRM (Most of which fall under the 'Case' Entity under 'Service').

When I try to 'edit' the reports online and add the correct custom fields, none of my custom objects appear under the 'Case' entity in power BI? Thus, I cannot edit the report, and thus the reports are almost all useless to me.

Thoughts on a solution anyone?

Thanks!

Matt------

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@dualsweat,

You can directly connect to the Dynamics CRM data source using “Get Data->OData feed” entry in Power BI Desktop, you are able to select custom fields when importing data. The OData URL is https://[instance_name].crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.0/.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. I have not tried your solution yet, but as I said, I am a total n00b. I am trying to be the admin for both Dynamics CRM and Power BI. Like all users "I need it to just work". 

Thanks for the tip!

M----------

@dualsweat,

You can use Power BI Desktop to connect to your source and select custom fields, in Power BI Desktop, you can create report as well and you can then publish report to Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you for the response. I connected Power BI desktop to the data source you mentioned. I do in fact get a list of tables from my instance of CRM. However, which table do I load to see support case objects? I do not see any service or support relevant information or objects when I load the  'Accounts' table, nor in any of the "service" tables. Which table contains all the data regarding open support cases and their related fields?

Thank You!

M----------

@dualsweat,

Please refer to the following link for the mapping details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531157.aspx

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

Thank you for the response, but what I am trying to say is that those entities are not visible to me. Please see image attached. As you can see, there is no 'case' table. 

What can I do?

PowerBI.png

@dualsweat,

Please check if you can query case entity following the guide in the blog below.

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/crmchap/archive/2016/11/27/powerbi-deep-dive-using-the-web-api-...

Regards,
Lydia

dualsweat
Frequent Visitor

Basically, how do I get POwer BI to show me the custom fields I created in CRM?

Thanks!

M--------

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors