Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mwmckee
Frequent Visitor

Looking for help connecting to MRI SaaS data source

Hello!

Has anyone any experience or suggestions in using MRI software-as-a-service (SaaS) as a Power BI data source?

MRI is an property management ERP system with SQL Server as its database.  They offer an on-premises deployment model or SaaS.
Connectivity to the MRI SaaS would be easy if there was online service connectivity like Facebook, Salesforce, Dynamics 365 etc., but MRI is too much of a specialty market I suppose.

I am considering an option of creating a VPN, but are there other suggestions?  Perhaps someone has addressed a similar problem with a different ERP?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mwmckee,

There are two options for you to connect to MRI in Power BI Desktop.

1. Directly connect to the underlying SQL Server database using SQL connector in Power BI Desktop.
2. Contact MRI support about how to use its API to receive data, then use Web connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the API. There is also a discussion for your reference.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jake

Came across this thread and am wondering if you were successful in getting a solution to integrate MRI with Power BI? I am looking at doing the same thing but my access to the servers is so restricted i cannot even test much without getting error / restriction messages. Let me know if you have managed to get it done. I may need tips on what access i need to request.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Quantra Technology Solutions (info@quantratech.com)

We have implemented PowerBI for many MRI SAAS clients. 1. API is good however needs a staging database for transformation requirements and data pull restrictions.  2. Report Scheduler - using Email and Powerautomate.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mwmckee,

There are two options for you to connect to MRI in Power BI Desktop.

1. Directly connect to the underlying SQL Server database using SQL connector in Power BI Desktop.
2. Contact MRI support about how to use its API to receive data, then use Web connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the API. There is also a discussion for your reference.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your response.

I was vaguely aware of the MRI API toolkit referred to in the link in option #2.  That is being investigated, although I understand MRI's fees for it are considerable.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Years later I am looking to complete a similar process to integrate MRI with Power BI and came across this thread. I am wondering if you ever came across a solution and how it turned out for you. Any insight you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Jake,

I saw this thread and I am reaching out because we are trying to do this same here one year later.   Have you determined a solution and if so would appreciate any updates!

Hi Jake,

It's great to see old posts have relevance even today.

That said, unfortunately, I did not find a solution at the time, and the client changed focus. The Power BI integration project never got restarted.

I hope you find a solution.

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors