Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Login to Gateway, forces me to configure new gateway, when I want to access the existing gateway

Hello, I'm somewhat new to PBI, and I'm taking over an existing but new SQL Server 2014 with newly built cubes, and a gateway to Power BI.

As I am logged into our server, and logged into the SQL Server, I search for and login to the Power BI Gateway. I want to step through the process of adding a new cube as a data source to show up to the end users to start building dashboard and reports.

When I log into the PBI Gateway, it seems to only give me an option to configure a new gateway. I dont want to config the existing gateway, I want to login and start adding a new cube to the data sources, but I cant get there, and there seems to be no way around the login screen. If I give it the existing gateway and the recoverly key, it tells that that is already exists.

How can I get around this oddity so I can add the new cube to this existing gateway, where we have onsite data.

Thanks!

JPQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Answer: It'd be best if a fellow admin added you to the Admin group, so then you can access the data sources, add data sources, and add users to the data sources.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
theBIbutler
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Once the gateway is configured and set up, that's all you need to do with it there.

Once it is set up you need to go onto Powerbi.com, go to settings, manage gateways:

gateway1.png

then click on the ellipsis by your gateway and add data source:

gateway2.png

Then complete as required.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Mark

Thats right, however, you must be a part of the Admin group if it already exists, and have the login info for the PBI Gateway and Recovery Password/PassPhrase. Otherwise, you'll get in and have the only option of creating a whole new gateway, and that's more than likely not what one wants.

Hi,

Sorry, didn't see your response.

Assumed he would already have been added as an admin as it had been 'handed' over to him.

Not sure what you mean about needing the login info for the gateway etc if all he wants to do is add a data source?

Cheers

Mark

You cant access the gateway and admin via the Web client, like access to build a dashboard or report. Instead you have to do it at the server where the SSAS is, and then go into the Gateway to admin by opening the Power BI Gateway interface and login.

Smiley Happy

Just realised you are the OP!

Yeah once you are added as an admin, just sort out the data source in powerbi.com,

Good luck!

Mark

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Answer: It'd be best if a fellow admin added you to the Admin group, so then you can access the data sources, add data sources, and add users to the data sources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors