Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thc
Frequent Visitor

Issues when connecting to Analysis Services 2016

Hi

I think this is the appropiate place to put this, so here goes.

I have a site, where I have installed the on-premises PowerBI Gateway, and added a data source, the Analysis Services instance, that is installed on the same server as the gateway.

Testing connection gives green a-OK checkmarks.

When I try to get data from the AS database, I press get data --> SQL Server Analysis Services --> Connect --> choose the data source --> and gets this error message: Something went wrong, and for the record "følgende systemfejl opstod" translates to: The following system error occured.

pbi.PNGSo it gives me no error to pursue really.

I have of course clicked the link, but it gives this guide: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

And it is the on-premise gateway I have installed.

The SQL server is 2016, now with SP1, (yesterday it was RTM version, but no change after update)

SQL Server 2016 (SP1) (KB3182545) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)  

To make sure it is not a rights-issue, the powerBI account used for the gateway is also administrator on the Analysis Services instance, and so far is the only account used.

I have made installations like these a couple of times before, but the lack of error description in the interface is something I haven't seen before.

The log mentions 'AdomdErrorResponseException' but the adomd.net / Analysis Mangement object are both installed on the server, as 2016 versions, from the installation of the SQL server I assume.

I tried to paste the log in a code block, but my post became to long. I have pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/N1iJyG5M I hope it is ok.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I can't interpret the log myself. I have found other similar threads with similar issues like this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Enterprise-Gateway-can-t-connect-to-on-premise-AS/m-p/13736...

But they are all about needing updates to older SQL server versions. But as this is SP1 on 2016, I don't really have that option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @thc,

What edition of SQL Server 2016 in your scenario ? Also, please check that if the email address you use to sign in Power BI matches the User Principal Name (UPN) of the local Active Directory Domain. For more details, please check this article.

In addition, you can connect to SSAS from Power BI Desktop, then create reports there and publish reports to Power BI Service, then use the gateway to refresh the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @thc,

What edition of SQL Server 2016 in your scenario ? Also, please check that if the email address you use to sign in Power BI matches the User Principal Name (UPN) of the local Active Directory Domain. For more details, please check this article.

In addition, you can connect to SSAS from Power BI Desktop, then create reports there and publish reports to Power BI Service, then use the gateway to refresh the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

It's 2016 Standard edition.

But it works now, it was the mapping of names. I thought it only necessary to map different accounts to other domain accounts, but of course in this case the UPN and o365 domains does not match. I should have caught that.

Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors