Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LizPerry
Frequent Visitor

Implementing and connecting to data when your IT is outsourced, best practice guidance needed please

We're at the point where we have tested PBI and really like the visualisation it offers. We're dealing with millions of rows of orders and sales data so in contrast to Excel PBI has really given us the ability to grapple data and start using it to inform. Albeit all of this has so far been in an ad hoc, PBI Free environment. We have a few sticking points our IT are very disconnected from the data issue and maintenance of our data warehouse 'Oracle' is outsourced, users have seen how the product works with Excel but don't really get the point that we need to hook the system up to Oracle. We'd really benefit from a bit of advice from someone who has been there and done it, so rather than a Consultant who shows us how to buidl reports we need someone who can come in assess where we are and make recommendations that we can then take to IT & partners to ensure the best model is implemented. Any advice would be massively appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your reply @v-yuezhe-msft. We haven't yet linked to Oracle, IT have agreed it but they're outsourced so I'm struggling to engage with them. What I'm not clear on is once we're connected whether the set up will be appropriate, documentation seems to suggest we need some kind of analysis service and I know that IT have suggested that connecting multiple users to Oracle will slow the network down and they're not keen on that but we want to implement PBI as an enterprise solution not as a system we update with multiple disconnected Excel spreadsheets. I was looking for advice from other users perhaps on Oracle, what their set up is ie. do they have a specific analysis layer to deal with PBI etc. also anyone who might be dealing with outsourced IT, how best to lead this kind of implementation?

Thanks,

Liz.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@LizPerry,

Do you get any issues when connecting to the Oracle data source in Power BI Desktop?I am not very clear about your requirement which refers to the model.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply @v-yuezhe-msft. We haven't yet linked to Oracle, IT have agreed it but they're outsourced so I'm struggling to engage with them. What I'm not clear on is once we're connected whether the set up will be appropriate, documentation seems to suggest we need some kind of analysis service and I know that IT have suggested that connecting multiple users to Oracle will slow the network down and they're not keen on that but we want to implement PBI as an enterprise solution not as a system we update with multiple disconnected Excel spreadsheets. I was looking for advice from other users perhaps on Oracle, what their set up is ie. do they have a specific analysis layer to deal with PBI etc. also anyone who might be dealing with outsourced IT, how best to lead this kind of implementation?

Thanks,

Liz.

@LizPerry,

I don't think this is a Power BI issue. How do you share Power BI report to users?

In the case that multiple users are viewing Power BI report at same time, which increases network load, it is better to contact network administrator about how to improve network bandwidth.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft no I agree it isn't a Power BI issue, I was just looking for some shared knowledge from other Oracle users. I might need to re phrase my question.

Thanks,

Liz.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors