Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Clark
Regular Visitor

How to use an Excel Datasource with the Enterprise Gateway

I have seen a couple references to limitations in the Enterprise Gateway with Excel Datasources and I'm wondering what the best way would be to make this work.  I have an on-prem Sql Data Source that is working great through the gateway, but as soon as I add an Excel datasource saved in Sharepoint Online, I no longer have the ability to use the Enterprise Gateway.  Do I have to save this on the Sql Server as well?  Is there another way?

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Enterprise-Gateway-scheduled-refresh-on-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Enterprise Gateway only supports files on-prem(SharePoint on-prem).You have 2 options:

1- Use Personal Gateway, with the personal gateway you can combine both online and on-prem data sources. But the limitation is you can no longer do Direct Query and it only supports Schededuled refresh. 

2- Keep using the Enterprise gateway and move your data to SQL Server or what you can do is move the Excel file to a SharePoint on-prem, or in a folder on-prem. Basically have them all available on prem and not mixed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Enterprise Gateway only supports files on-prem(SharePoint on-prem).You have 2 options:

1- Use Personal Gateway, with the personal gateway you can combine both online and on-prem data sources. But the limitation is you can no longer do Direct Query and it only supports Schededuled refresh. 

2- Keep using the Enterprise gateway and move your data to SQL Server or what you can do is move the Excel file to a SharePoint on-prem, or in a folder on-prem. Basically have them all available on prem and not mixed.

I tested one by moving to our On-Prem Sharepoint and now it's not available again.  Do I need to create a connection for each folder or file in the gateway?  How does it know to use the gateway for the files that are in our On-Prem sharepoint?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors