Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leinad13
Frequent Visitor

How to use Personal Gateway with Proxy

How can I use personal gateway behind a proxy? Where is the offical guidance?

When i first looked at this about 6 months ago, I'm sure there was more 'official' guidance about which files need to be changed. (Not that any config files should need to be changed, a well written product would use the IE Proxy settings!)

We dont get many problems with software and our proxys so I'm surprised this product lacks such basic functionality. If it wasnt designed to be used behind proxies - why does the download page say "use without your IT Administrator". Surely people without proxies dont have IT Administrators? 

Apologies if this seems like a rant, but last time i checked its 2016 and one of the biggest enterprise software companies has released a product that isn't proxy aware. Was it coded on 386 as well?

5 REPLIES 5
leinad13
Frequent Visitor

I spent some more time on this, because I really need it working....

I have tried setting properties in the config files and using a 'proxifier' application - still no luck. The worst thing is, PowerBI desktop works fine and published fine, on the same system! 

It's a shame no one from Microsoft looks at these forums, and offers help. 

Does anyone know if there is any way to enable some logging? The error message "No Internet Connection" is very generic, and I'm wondering if its a proxy problem at all - or a firewall issue.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Update, I did find a GWProxy.exe.config file in ther Power BI Personal Gateway, 1.0, Configurator folder so I'm guessing that's what you might try. There are a couple different config files in the directory so it might be a different config file that you need to edit.

My guess is that it is/can be proxy aware but that there is no user interface for configuring it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Many Thanks smoupre - I had come accross this config file before posting (several months ago) and attempted to add in the correct settings.

So far when i have been doing this, I have been rushing it - in anger. I will try again now i have some more time.

For anyone else who stumbles accross this post - this is the official documentation for the proxy config bit : https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/kd3cf2ex.aspx

I will post my finding as i go to...

So after spending another hour on this, I have given up again (I can't justify spending more time on it)

I have attemped the following and nothing works :

1. Switch from a PAC File in IE Proxy Setting to Auto Configure (WPAD)
  2. Changed the above mentioned config file, I tried numerous configurations and none of them worked.

I am paying for a license, does anyone know how to get support from Microsoft? The website and forums are completely different sites, with seperate logins - which is a bit confusing....

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There is guidance for this for the Enterprise Gateway:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-tshoot/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/kd3cf2ex.aspx

You may or may not be able to use that information and similar techniques for the Personal Gateway.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors