Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lampard1987
Frequent Visitor

How to refresh data between SharePoint Online List and embedded PowerBI dashboard

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a basic question but I have created a Power BI Dashboard using data from a SharePoint online list. I then embedded this dashboard onto a SharePoint site and set up a schedule refresh daily between 12pm - 6pm. 

My question is when I change information in my SharePoint Online list, when will these changes be reflected in my embedded Power BI dashboard? Will this automatically happen or is there anything manual that needs to be done by me to update these changes to the embedded Power BI dashboard?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lampard1987 Then you will need to manually refresh. As outlined here Direct Query to Azure SQL DB or Warehouse are the only supported data sources that handle seeing fresh data. Since you are importing the data into the PBIX, there is no mechanism like the Power BI Service provides in offering refresh. My assumption is that with the support of the gateway in the future that this will be possible.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gally

Here's a blog post that I've written that describes the use of a 3rd party tool (AxioWorks SQList) to synch the SharePoint lists with nromalised SQL Azure tables which then gives you the option of direct query. 

Since SQList updates SQL Azure as soon as SharePoint changes are made it is a very nice workaround for Direct Query

Power BI direct query workaround for SharePoint

@lampard1987 What is the method that you used to embed the report?

Publish to Web, Dev API, or Power BI Embedded?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer it is via Power BI Embedded. 

@lampard1987 Then you will need to manually refresh. As outlined here Direct Query to Azure SQL DB or Warehouse are the only supported data sources that handle seeing fresh data. Since you are importing the data into the PBIX, there is no mechanism like the Power BI Service provides in offering refresh. My assumption is that with the support of the gateway in the future that this will be possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors