Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

How to change the personal gateway to enterprise gateway

Hi 

I had created a pbix file in machine A.  Installed personal gateway on machine A . Uploaded the pbix to power bi service.

Set the refresh schedule to make use of the gateway on machine A.

Later I installed the on-premise gateway to a Windows Server 2012. 

The problem I am facing is unable to change the Gateway connection in the power bi service in the schedule refresh. It is still pointing to the gateway in machine A.

Any help

Cheers 

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
10 REPLIES 10
crice011
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue.  Datasource is exactly the same as what is listed in the gateway.  Is there a fix for this?  I need to switch from personal gateway to enterprise gateway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue and am wondering if anyone has gotten this resolved?

Note, I'm actually able to connect a newly created sample report to the Enterprise gateway so it's not an issue with the gateway itself. However, I'm not able to switch existing reports over even though the data sources that connect to the gateway are the same in my sample report as my existing report.

@CheenuSing As long as all the data source match those in the PBIX file and are supported by the OPD gateway, it should light up as an option for you to use when you manage refresh on the dataset...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

Screenshot1

Capture12.GIF

I am unable to click on Use a data gateway. The radio button is disabled. Conntection is pointing to the Machine A personal gateway.

Screen shot 2

Averages.GIF

This is the screenshot from the MangeGateway. The datasource SmatGold is the on-premise gateway installed on the Windows server 12. 

How do I change the user your data gateway ( Power BI - personal) online running on ajs103-dtstn14 to the current SmartGold installed on the server.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

Any help please.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing,

What data sources are contained in your dataset? After you register the gateway (SmatGold), have you added all data sources of your dataset under the SmatGold gateway?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@CheenuSing Re-publishing the PBIX may be the answer. Try that, it's simple, and if it doesn't work we can dig deeper. But it has a high chance of fixing it.

The reason I say that is even when you install a new gateway and add a data source, it is recommended to do that first then deploy to it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

I tried re-publishing still does not work. Few things I want to clarify, is Enterprise to be used only for Direct-Query.  My PBIX uses ImportData method from SQL Server. 

The OS that is supported by Enterprise gateway.  

Also unable to install the Personal Gateway on Windows 2008 server. Is that a restriction.

What else should we look for, please advice.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft 

The Connection has Datasource as used by the PBIX file. 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing,

Firstly, Enterprise gateway can be used for Direct-Query data sources and imported data sources. In your scenario, please make sure that the server name and database name completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the Enterprise gateway. If the issue still persists, please help to post data sources information in Power BI Desktop and data sources information under gateway (SmatGold).

Secondly, it requires 64-bit version of Windows 7/ Windows Server 2008 R2 (or later) when installing Power BI personal gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

After installing the on-premise gateway on the Server 2012, I connected to the powerbiservice from the server. Then I tried to change the gateway, it is showing the Personal-Gateway on the machine A .  The other option to change to on-premise gateway the radio button is disabled. 

Does it mean I have to upload the pbix file once again from the server and do the refresh settings.

Please advice.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors