Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlito
Frequent Visitor

Getting sampleSpace and sampleSize from Google Analytics API

Hey Everyone!

I'm using the Google Analytics connector for a few data sources, and noticed my data is getting sampled. That's not neccesarily a problem (although if anyone has ideas on how I can prevent sampling, that would also be welcome!), but it would be nice to be able to know the sample size of the data I'm looking at. 

I looked in the Google Analytics API documentation, and it looks like there are response fields, "sampleSpace" and  "sampleSize", that tell you the number of samples are in a space, and the number of samples used to calculate sampled data. 

Does anyone know how I can get these values from the API using the Google Analytics connector? I'm hoping to add the sample size to the dashboard so I know exactly how much my data is being sampled.

Thanks in advance!

- C

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@carlito,

For the sample issue in Power BI Desktop, please check response from Product Team.

This is expected behavior. The API we're using for Google Analytics is the one available to free users, and that API is known to return less accurate values for high volume sites due to the way it samples data. Unfortunately, the API for Google Analytics Premium customers is significantly different than that for the free users, so we'd need to implement a new connector specifically for Premium in order to get the more accurate values. This is not currently on our roadmap. Customers who would like to see this feature should request it or upvote it (if already there) at ideas.powerbi.com.

In addition, about the issue that how to get samplespace and samplesize values, I would recommend you contact Google Analytics support to check how to use its API to return thses values, then you can use web connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the API and import the data.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors