Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

motoroto
Frequent Visitor

Getting data from Microsof Access

Hello, I have a pbix file which source is a microsoft access file (no password protected), I have no problem getting data from Power BI Desktop.

However, when i upload the file to app.power.bi.com there is no way I have found to update the data from here (I need to update from PBI Desktop and upload it on a daily basis).

I have tried several ways:

1. Create a data gateway using "File" as a data source. When creating the data gateway I can connect...

Upload1.JPG

But when I try to configure the data set, I get an error requesting update of credentials

Uplad2.JPG

2. I have also tried creating the PBI Desktop file using a oledb connection, once again, no problem with the PBIX file. But when creating the OLEDB data gateway, I´m asked a user name and password, the problem is the access file is not password protected (since PBI Desktop currently does not support get data from password protected access files).

I can´t get passed this problem.

Hope you can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@motoroto,

Currently, on-premises gateway can't connect to Access database, please use on-premises gateway(personal mode) instead to refresh the Access database.

In addition, there is an idea about adding Access as data source for on-premises gateway, you can vote it up.

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@motoroto,

Currently, on-premises gateway can't connect to Access database, please use on-premises gateway(personal mode) instead to refresh the Access database.

In addition, there is an idea about adding Access as data source for on-premises gateway, you can vote it up.

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia, is there a way to use both, on-premises gateway and on-prem.. (personal mode) for different sets of data?

@motoroto,

You are able to use different gateways for different datasets. However, for a single dataset, you should add all data sources under a single gateway. In other words, it is not possible to add a part of data sources of the single dataset within on-premises gateway and add remaining data sources within in-premises gateway(personal mode), then use the two gateways to refresh the single dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks Lidya, now I have it more clear. I´ll have to figure out how to set up 2 gateways.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Did you try Windows credentials?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, I tried. It didn´t work.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors