Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

QuasemS
Frequent Visitor

Getting data from Gateway

Hi,

I have our enterprise gateway servers setup with usernames and passwords but I can't seem to find how to retrieve the data from the warehouses. I can't find an option to connect to the gateway to access the databases. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

7 REPLIES 7

@QuasemS Using the Desktop: Get Data > Select your database. There is no current way to directly connect from the Power BI Service to an on premises db.

I'm making some assumptions that you aren't using Azure for your warehouse.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer are you sure? I build models on on-prem SQL databases sources and publish them to the service (cloud) and are able to schedule refresh for these in the service, but you need to have a gateway installed.

/sdjensen

@sdjensen I am reading this as the issue is he has the gateway set up and has created the data source but doesn't know how to connect to the actual data warehouse to build reports. As such, he needs to do this via the Desktop, as there is no way to connect directly to an on premises database from the Service. 

"publish them to the server" - suggests that you do the same with the Desktop.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Guess we read it differently 🙂

/sdjensen

Okay perhaps we need to clarify things.

You can't connect to an on-premise data source in the service to build your model there. You will have to build the model in Power BI desktop and then publish the model to the service. Then if you setup a gateway you can schedule refresh on these uploaded models.

I hope this answer the question.

/sdjensen
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Where are you trying to add the server and databases? You should do this from the portal though the Manage gateways menu item.

Skærmbillede 2016-06-08 kl. 22.10.54.png

/sdjensen
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Not sure I understand what you mean by " retrieve data from the warehouses". What data are you trying to retrieve? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors