Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

File too big to import from online source- (500): Internal Server Error.... any solutions?

Hi,

So I'm importing data tables into power bi from an online source and It was going fine until I got to a particularly large table. When I try to import it after a while I get this error (500): Internal Server Error message. 

Does anyone know how I can fix this, for example, is there a way to lengthen the amount of time Power BI will try and download something?

Thanks!

Cambell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

There are some proposals for you in this scenario.

1. Reduce the columns and rows you import to Power BI Desktop, in other words, only import records of the large table your need to Power BI.
2. Check that if you can add CommandTimeout parameter which is discussed in this similar thread.
3. Use 64 bit version of Power BI Desktop.
4. If the error still occurs after performing the above steps, consider to export data from this large table to SQL Server database, then use DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop to connect to the SQL database.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What online source do you connect to? Do you use Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop to connect to the data source?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Its an online database that has been created by the company I work for and I connect to it by creating a blank query then typing into the advancced editor some code I was sent to use and I just modify slightly to import different tables (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here sorry). It uses Json data. Should I try linking to it in another way?

Best wishes,

Cambell 

Hi @Anonymous,

There are some proposals for you in this scenario.

1. Reduce the columns and rows you import to Power BI Desktop, in other words, only import records of the large table your need to Power BI.
2. Check that if you can add CommandTimeout parameter which is discussed in this similar thread.
3. Use 64 bit version of Power BI Desktop.
4. If the error still occurs after performing the above steps, consider to export data from this large table to SQL Server database, then use DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop to connect to the SQL database.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors