Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnchill
Helper I
Helper I

Error when connecting to SQL server analysis services database

I am receiving an error when attempting to load data from Analysis Services into PowerBI. The error message is:

Load

Name of datasource

Datasource.Error: AnalysisServices: The Auto Exist operation is exceeding the permitted memory limit and is being cancelled

I already have data in PowerBI, about 25k rows and I am trying to add an additional source when the error occurs. Does anyone have an ideas as to the cause?

Regards,

John

10 REPLIES 10
xppdev
Frequent Visitor

I am getting this when loading from a Cube or a tabular model. "Live" connections work. Did anyone ever find an answer on how to resolve?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any resolution to this in Power BI updates since this post. We are also facing the same issue with loading more data from Mutidimensional SSAS cube into Power BI. We need to use DAX to acheive the desired customization in Power BI. Hence need to go for Import Mode. Is increasing MemoryBufferLimit in SSAS a recommended and tested option. We need to do impact analysis if at all needs to change settings for SSAS standard installation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was there ever any solution to this?

andresgeb
Regular Visitor

Hi, Im getting the same error. Could be a limitation of Power BI or my RAM memory?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Hi All,

My client entered a ticket on this and they had her run the same exercise using excel - where we received no error.  HOWEVER:  What we discovered was that we were treating a query to LOAD data from an SSAS Tabular cube the same way we defined that query in 'get data' for a live connection to the cube, expecting the same results.  In live connection,  we selected all the dimensions and one of the fact tables defined within that cube.  What we got from that single 'Gest Data'/ 'Query', was the set of folders representing each entity in that cube with nomenclature as appeared in the cube itself.   However, the result when LOADing data was a single folder with the name of the cube and each data element named in the format of <entityname>.<attributename>.<attributename>.  For whatever reason, the process of generating the cube into a flat representation of that data would finish when pulling via Power Query in Excel, and result in an error when doing so in Power BI.  We further tested the same with the fact table and a few small dimensions (i.e. a subset of dimensions) in Power BI.  Sometimes it would finish, sometimes the error above. 

Because the result was NOT what we intended:  One folder for each cube entity, we had to load each entity within the cube, one entity at a time (i.e created a new query using Get Data), as one would do for each star schema entity in SQL Server.  Because that STILL resulted in oddly named folders and entity names, we had to edit each query to result in the desired folder names and attributes as seen in the model itself.  Without those changes, we ended up with each folder name being the same name as the cube, or appended with a number 1-n-1.  (Example:  CubeName, CubeName1, CubeName2...)  As before, each attribute was named in a very 'user unfriendly' manner:  EntityName.AttributeName.AttributeName. 

End Result: We never were able to determine why it fails when loading into Power BI desktop and does not fail when loading into Excel via Power Query (Now 'Get Data' in Excel 2016).  That said, the results were not as we expected with data returned in a single folder - hence we loaded each entity via a seperate Get Data/Query. 

PS:  I am entering a new suggestion to change the above behavior regarding nomenclature when loading SSAS Cube entities.

Hope this helps!

andresgeb
Regular Visitor

Hi, Im getting the same error. Could be a limitation of Power BI or my RAM memory?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

kelleyamattTGS
Frequent Visitor

Hi, We are getting the same error message.  Is there any resolution for this?  We also do not have the same issue when pulling data into Excel.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, what version of SSAS are you running? It is possible that it is Analysis Services that is generating the error, there are memory limitation settings and such for SSAS. For example, this is for 2005 but you could check SSAS settings like BufferMemoryLimit:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966526.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, I will look at that.

I don't get that error when using Excel with the same data from Analysis Services though.

John

Hi,

I'm getting the same issue when I add in an extra dimension attribute. I'm guessing its complaining about the volume of data being generated but Excel happily deals with the level of data being requested.

Could it be something to do with the SSAS connector that Power BI uses?

Is there any solutions?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors