Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lewand03
Helper I
Helper I

Error message when installing Gateway

Hi Power BI Gurus!

I am having trouble installing gateway. Following error message is appearing at the and ot the process:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at Microsoft.DataProxy.EgwInstallBA.ProgressViewModel.ApplyComplete(Object sender, ApplyCompleteEventArgs e)

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Dariusz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lewand03,

1. Which kind of gateway did you want to install? On-premise data gateway or on-premise data gateway (personal mode)?

2. Was there any old version gateway installed before? If it is, please uninstall it completely.

3. Check if your environment had proxy. If it did, please follow this article.

4. Please share gateway log with us follow these two articles Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal and Troubleshooting the On-Premises Data Gateway.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
youssefyoussef
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

How can I uninstall Gateway completely?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lewand03,

1. Which kind of gateway did you want to install? On-premise data gateway or on-premise data gateway (personal mode)?

2. Was there any old version gateway installed before? If it is, please uninstall it completely.

3. Check if your environment had proxy. If it did, please follow this article.

4. Please share gateway log with us follow these two articles Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal and Troubleshooting the On-Premises Data Gateway.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I was analysing the issue further with my local IT, and finally we ended up with conclusion that it is issue with proxy.

All is fixed and working now,

Thanks,

D.

Hi Qiuyun,

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to install personal mode type of gateway.

It was the first instalation. I was trying to do that couple of times (unistalling it completely), but with the same error every time.

We have proxy, and I way trying to follow instruction from the article you indicated, but without success as well.

I am not an Admin on my computer, so myabe I'll try to contact local IT and install it once again with them...

Thanks anyway, and I'll update you if local IT was able to help.

Regards,

dariusz

Hi @lewand03,

After you follow the article in my previous post to configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway (personal mode), you will need to kill the on-premises data gateway (personal mode) process (Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGateway.exe) and relaunch the configurator.

Besides contact your IT for help, you can launch Personal Gateway configurator. At the summary page, there is an "Export Logs" link. Click it and send us the zip file.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

This is what I can see:

PGscreen.JPG

Error message:

Failed to update gateway details. Please try again.
This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/personalgatewayconfiguration/service did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request)

I do not see any option for exporting log...

Regards,

Dariusz

Hi @lewand03,

What's the result when you click Continue button?

From the screeshot, it indicates that this machine already has on-premise data gateway (personal mode) installed. You can open control panel to see if it's in the program list.

q7.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Hi.

After clicking conitune it is repeating the same action which ends up with the same error.

And yes, it is installed, but it is offline:

offline.JPG

Regards,

Dariusz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors