Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sbroaden
Helper I
Helper I

Error analyzing in excel: Connection failed because user credentials are needed...

I have some users that are unable to analyze in excel.  They have downloaded the latest Excel updates from Power BI and also have OLE db providers for 2016, 2014, 2012 as well.  As far as I can tell the OLE DB providers are all there and are the same as those on the computer where the user CAN analyze in excel.  I cannot figure out the difference between their setups where one can analyze without issue and the other gets the error: The connection failed because user credentials are needed and Sign-In UI is not allowed.  Is it something to do with Azure authentication?

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sbroaden,

Based on my research, I see the same error can be caused by the AS OLEDB provider isn't current. I would suggest you double check it follow this article. Then you can try to restart the computer to test again.

If issue persists, please use Fiddler to capture the trace, share .saz file with us.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft Thanks. I wasn't able to get anywhere with the link you had...can you repost?  Also, do you know if it's the most current 2016 AS OLE DB that you download from powerbi.com?  In the Analyze in Excel updates?  Do you know how often they update those as we will have to make sure we re-package and re-push those updates to all users.  I had thought 2016 would only have one version but it seems we need to update more frequently and I am having a hard time knowing HOW frequent.  Our users cannot download on their own so they all start getting errors.

Hi @sbroaden,

The link I want to share in my previous post is this.

You can see @IlanH's post here, the link provided in download section points to the most recent AS OLEDB provider, it will detect current installed AS OLEDB provider to check if you need update.

I don't know the update frequency about AS OLEDB provider, maybe @IlanH can help on this?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors