Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Enterprise Gateway still using OnMicrosoft.com when passing EffectiveUserName even after UPN changed

I've got a EG that was setup initially before we had AD Syncronization working.  We were working with standard OnMicrosoft.com accounts.  We have now syncronized AD and I've updated my UPN to not include the OnMicrosoft.com (i.e. I was Joe@acme.onmicrosoft.com, now I'm Joe@acme.com).  I sign into the Power BI Service with joe@acme.com and when I click on the person icon in the Power BI Service I see Joe@acme.com it appears that the UPN without "onmicrosoft.com" is in use.

I've got a connection defined to an SSAS multidimensional cube and the only way I can get connected via the EG is to enter a UPN map in the enterprise gateway data source definition like Joe@acme.onmicrosoft.com, map to Joe@acme.com (or acme.onmicrosoft.com to acme.com).

So... it appears me that even though the person icon shows me signed as as joe@acme.com what the EG is really seeing is Joe@acme.onmicrosoft.com.

I've checked the EG logs and I do see the replacements being made in there which reflect this behaviour.

I'm pretty sure when I installed the EG I would have entered the Joe@acme.onmicroft.com ID when signing in during the install.  Don't know if that somehow has burned the onmicrosoft.com into things or not.

Any ideas.  The overall goal it to get everyone signing into Power BI Service with non "onmicrosoft.com" addresses and to eliminate the need for any mappings. 

I'm feeling like there is some remenat in the Azure AD reflecting OnMicrosoft.com for my accounts that is causing this behaviour even though I'm signing in with the non OnMicrosoft.com UPN.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eskyline,

From your description, it seems that you used joe@acme.com signed in Power BI service, and used the Joe@acme.onmicroft.com signed in on-premise data gateway, right?

As you register the data gateway use Joe@acme.onmicroft.com, the default gateway administrator should be Joe@acme.onmicroft.com. If you shared this gateway with joe@acme.com like below, then this gateway will display in Power BI servcie use joe@acme.com account.

q4.PNG 

In your scenario, did you connect to SSAS cube in live connection or import mode? If it's live connection, check this requirements firstly: Limitations of Analysis Services live connections. Then please follow this article to set user mapping roles: Usernames with Analysis Services.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Qiuyun,

Thanks for the response.  Heres some shots of what I'm seeing.  Hopefully this can help to shed some light on it a bit.

In my gateway it does show my name although I can't see the fully qualified name. 

Admin.png

I see the following when I'm signed into the service.  I actualy signin using my email address ehyland@companyname.com.  Its being converted to Exxxxxxx.companyname.com.  This is my current UPN we see in Azure AD. 

Signin2.jpg

For my SSAS connections I'm doing the direct connect, not the import, so the connections are flowing straight thorugh to the gateway in real time.

If I don't put any User "UPN" Mappings on the gateway's data source defintion for the SSAS connection the enterprise gateway logs show the "The user name or password is incorrect." and the EffectiveUsername appears with the OnMicrosoft.com in it.....  I'm forced to put a UPN mapping in that maps Exxxxx@companyname.onmicrosoft.com to Exxxxxx@companyname.com to get it to connect.

gatewaylog2.png

So I'm confused as to where its picking up the OnMicrosoft.com when sending dowh the EffectiveUserName.  It is likley that I used eXXXXX@companyname.onmicrosoft.com when I initially installed and registered the gateway.   IF I go to the gateway machine today and start the gateway app I'm prompted to signin and I am using eXXXXXX@companyname.com and its getting me in there fine.  From there I see the links to the log files and can export them. 

I do know we are using multiple federated domains.  I don't know if that plays into how the domain name is selected that is passed down to the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors