Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Enterprise Gateway .Net Runtime Error

We are facing an issue with the Power BI enterprise data gateway .  The connection work fine  and we are able to see the reports. However the minute we try filtering on the reports the gateway disconnects .  When we look at the event log this is what it shows .  

Application: Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c000071f, exception address 00007FFB4118BA74

Not sure what could be causing this . Any pointers will be appreciated .

17 REPLIES 17
cripcrop
Regular Visitor

same issue here, i think it could be the latest version (July) of the gateway, as this issue only seems to have occured since updating.

Just to confirm power BI will load up the reports, but as soon as a filter is applied, the circles swirl round, and nothing updates, if i look at the event log on our sql server, where the gateway is installed, the gateway crashes as soon as i apply the filter. It then restarts itself, but presumably it doesnt know what it was then doing before it crashed.

Exception Info: exception code c000071f, exception address 00007FF93493BA74

Faulting application name: Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe, version: 14.16.6369.1, time stamp: 0x59441931
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18438, time stamp: 0x57ae642e
Exception code: 0xc000071f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000aba74
Faulting process id: 0x2f7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2fb2234d932c5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ea70ee35-6715-11e7-80f9-005056b4334a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Have you tried rolling back to a previous version of the gateway?

I cannot find a previous version, the PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe file always downloads the latest version - currently 14.16.6369.1

I had same problem and after install latest version of Gateway (14.16.6390.2) it works like a charm

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-on-premises-data-gateway-july-update-is-now-availa...

i have just downloaded again, just out of interest, and reinstalled. Version number has changed from 14.16.6369.1 to 14.16.6390.2.

Im now able to filter and the app doesnt crash, event logs are clear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does not sound to good.

@v-qiuyu-msft - do you have any recommendation of what to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same error. The on-premis gateway service shut down just after it has been started.

Capture.PNG

Have you been able to find a solution?

Not as yet. But it's happening across all our VM's which suggests a conflict somewhere.

I installed it on my desktop and that's working ok, but obviously that's not ideal.

jpereztang
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @mitsu, @FrankAndersenDK, @v-qiuyu-msft I have exactly the same problem, this is the log of my gateway, could anyone resolve it?

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2017-07-06T21:48:25.8833900Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	a07257e7-a54d-4766-bbfe-53633e5ae456	234b72e4-e889-488a-8ea1-0fe8afdff7a0	MDSR	9b23e3cd-35f9-48c2-aeb6-a7ad42604a8c	B3032B18 [DM.GatewayCore] Error serializing response: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: pUnk
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetObjectForIUnknown(IntPtr pUnk)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.OleDbBase.IMultipleResultsExtensions.GetResult(IMultipleResults multipleResults)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.OleDbBinaryWriterSerializer.<GetRowsets>d__10.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.OleDbBinaryWriterSerializer.Serialize(OleDbBinaryPacketWriteStream oleDbPacketStream, Boolean isLast)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.OleDbBinaryWriterSerializer.Serialize(GatewaySerializationContext serializationContext, Int32 indexForFirstPacket, Boolean isLast)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeOleDbQueryResponseMultipleResults>d__18.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeImpl>d__14.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<<Serialize>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__5.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<Serialize>d__13.MoveNext()

We landed up installing the gateway on another server on the same domain and evryhing worked as expected . MAkes me think it is something on the server that is causing the gateway service to crash . 

FrankAndersenDK

I'm having the exact same issue.

Faulting application name: Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe, version: 14.16.6369.1, time stamp: 0x59441931
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bc579
Faulting process id: 0x10c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f193592308a6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe
Report Id: 7823667f-5804-4db4-b6a0-cf1d5ef9995e

-----

Exception Info: exception code c000071f, exception address 00007FFCB94CC579

Regards,

Frank

Hi @FrankAndersenDK,

Can you share the On-premises data gateway service logs and Fiddler Trace around the time error throws out suggested in my previous post?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

How do you prefer i share the service logs and Fiddler Trace?

Regards, 

Frank

The Fiddler trace shows nothing...

When i try to access data from On-Premises on PowerBI, the "On-premises data gateway service" stops unexpected.

The "On-premises data gateway service" event log, shows nothing but started and stopped 'On-premises data gateway service'.

Logs from Application eventlog:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bc579
Faulting process id: 0x318
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f3e86017691b
Report Id: 0d018e7f-c682-4e2b-8f02-f1d7a17567c3

---

Exception Info: exception code c000071f, exception address 00007FFDD622C579

The exact same thing has started happening to us in the last few days. Happening across all of our servers. Had to install on a desktop. Not ideal.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mitsu,

Please check if the machine hosts the on-premise data gateway meet this requirements.

Please share the On-premises data gateway service logs and Fiddler Trace (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/#tools-for-troublesh...) around the time that error throws out with us.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

The addition log on the event viewer say the following ... Any help would be appreciated . Have not seen this before and not sure wahts causing this.

"Faulting application name: Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe, version: 14.16.6355.2, time stamp: 0x5930cc69
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18696, time stamp: 0x59153753
Fault offset: 0x00000000000aba74
Faulting process id: 0x2e44
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2ea852541fa8a
Report Id: 2d54da58-567a-11e7-80d9-0050569a4001
Faulting package full name: "

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors