Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Douglas_Silva

Duplicate applications for users with different database

I need to have a same reporting model and application with multiple reports, but each one should be fed with a local database, how would I do it this way?

Ex:
I have 3 X, Y and Z clients that have stores in the same branch, I need to create a base application that I will share with the 3 clients, but each application must use the client's local database through a gateway configured on the client machine, That is, each one owns a local system with its database with its releases, and each one must verify its data only.

I wanted to do it this way because I have multiple clients, and it's a very big job to redo each application with each client

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Douglas_Silva,

You can define data model, create reports in your own Power BI Desktop file, then create servername parameter and database parameter in your current Power BI Desktop file and create a Power BI Report template(PBIT).

After that, your clients can use the PBIT to instantiate new Power BI reports on  their machine by choosing their server and database. They can publish their own Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service and schedule refresh for their datasets.

For more details about parameters and Power BI templates, please review the following blog and similar thread.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-template-with-a-different-data-source-every...

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@Douglas_Silva,

I am not very clear about your requirement. If you create reports and dashboard in your workspace in Power BI Service, you are able to share the reports/dashboard to your clients, but your clients can't change connection string of the reports/dashboard.

If you want to share gateway to your clients, your clients and you should be in same domain. In this case, you can add the email address of your clients under Administrators tab to share them the registered gateway.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Douglas_Silva,

You can define data model, create reports in your own Power BI Desktop file, then create servername parameter and database parameter in your current Power BI Desktop file and create a Power BI Report template(PBIT).

After that, your clients can use the PBIT to instantiate new Power BI reports on  their machine by choosing their server and database. They can publish their own Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service and schedule refresh for their datasets.

For more details about parameters and Power BI templates, please review the following blog and similar thread.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-template-with-a-different-data-source-every...

Regards,

Thanks for the help my friend, but this solution would be for the desktop only, I'm using app.powerbi.com, and I create the applications for online access.
Use gateway for connection.
I would like to know if it is possible to connect to the gateway of the current machine, and not the machine that created the application.

Anyway thanks and tip of the power desktop, I will also use it in some cases.

@Douglas_Silva,

I am not very clear about your requirement. If you create reports and dashboard in your workspace in Power BI Service, you are able to share the reports/dashboard to your clients, but your clients can't change connection string of the reports/dashboard.

If you want to share gateway to your clients, your clients and you should be in same domain. In this case, you can add the email address of your clients under Administrators tab to share them the registered gateway.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Douglas_Silva

Preciso ter um mesmo modelo de relatório e aplicativo com vários relatórios, mas cada um deve ser alimentado com uma base de dados local, teria como fazer desta forma?

Ex: 

Tenho 3 clientes X, Y e Z que possuem lojas do mesmo ramo, preciso criar um aplicativo base, que irei compartilhar com os 3 clientes, mas cada aplicativo deve utilizar a base de dados local do cliente através de um gateway configurado na máquina cliente, ou seja, cada um possui um sistema local com sua base de dados com seus lançamentos, e cada um deve verificar seus dados apenas.

Queria fazer desta forma, pois tenho vários clientes, e é um trabalho muito grande refazer cada aplicativo com a base de cada cliente.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors