Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mtstewart17
Frequent Visitor

Downloaded Personal Gateway not showing up in Manage Gateways

Hello,

I downloaded a Personal Gateway and after the download completes and I go through the Wizard I get the message that the Gateway has been successfully installed. 

Then when I login to Power BI online and go to "Manage Gateways" it says I do not have any Gateways. 

If i go to one of my data sources and select the option "Schedule Refresh" then I can see a Personal Gateway that shows up as "Offline."

Any ideas why the Gateway installation is showing successful but not showing up when I try to find it on Power BI online?

13 REPLIES 13
skiwii
Advocate I
Advocate I

Personal gateways don't show up under the Manage Gateways option unfortunately.  Go to the settings of your dataset that will depend on this gateway and click the Schedule Refresh button, then select your personal gateway there.

skiwii
Advocate I
Advocate I

Personal gateways don't show up under the Manage Gateways option unfortunately.  Go to the settings of your dataset that will depend on this gateway and click the Schedule Refresh button, then select your personal gateway there.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mtstewart17,

After you install Power BI personal gateway, you will not find the gateway under “Manage Gateways”, this is an expected behavior. After you install Power BI personal gateway and configure the gateway, you are able to directly sign in data source and schedule refresh for the dataset in the dataset’s Settings screens, you can check the following example. For more details, please review this blog: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4170/connect-to-onpremises-data-sources-with-power-bi-persona... .

However, if you install on-premises gateway and register it on your machine, you will find the registered gateway in the "Manage Gateways" page.

In addition, as your personal gateway is offline, please check if Power BI personal gateway is running properly on your computer. You can check if data management gateway service is on as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helllo @v-yuezhe-msft,

I checked the Services running and I do not see "Data Management Gateway Service" on the list. I am guessing this is my problem. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Gateway as an administrator, but that got me to the same point. 

I still get the message that the installation was successful and an icon appears on my toolbar, but the Gateway does not appear online when I go to my data sources.

Hi @mtstewart17,

Which type of gateway do you install? Do you find On-premises data gateway service in Services?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried to install the personal gateway. I do not find that service running in my services window. 

I opened a ticket with Microsoft because it seems that my online Power BI account has become associated with a Personal Gateway i had downloaded and deleted from my computer. This is stopping me from dowlnoading and running a new personal gateway, and it is also preventing me from using a new Enterprise Gateway my company setup. 

I have verified it is an issue with my account because another member of my team published the same report from desktop and was able to connect the published report to his personal or Enterprise Gateway for Scheduled Refresh.

I have also tried logging in on different machines and downloading the gateway that still does not work, so it is some setting in my online Power BI account giving me the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Did you manage to get this resolved please? I am having the exact same issue now. 😞 Any help would be very much appreciated

Davymc23

Find the solution.

Search your machine for EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe and run it.  You can create a new gateway with new credentials. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help, but that just got me to the on premise configuration. My problem is with the personal gateway.

I was never able to get the personal gateway fixed. I could not get the previously installed instance disassociated from my Power BI account. That was preventing me from downloading and correctly setting up a new one. I even spent some time with the Power BI support team on the phone trying to figure it out and they could not help either.

Eventually I gave up and I have had better luck using a newly setup enterprise gateway to refresh all my data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Sorry you had no luck. I managed to get round it by installing the personal gateway on a colleagues computer, who had similar access to data sources. Not ideal, but did the job. Let's hope they fix this issue!

I am having the same issue. 

I am having the same issue now.  Despertae to find a solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors