Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kdillon

Direct Query is not automatically refreshing report, but is automatically refreshing Dashboard

I have a Dashboard that is correctly refreshing data using direct query, however, the report that the dashboard is built on is not updating automatically using the direct query. Does direct query automatically refresh reports or only dashboards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kdillon,

If we use DirectQuery to get data, when we interact with a visualization, queries are sent from Power BI directly to the database. Updated data is then returned and visualizations are updated.

So when you add new records in source table, you need to interact with the report visual, click the Refresh, or refresh the browser to make updated data display. As currently report page doesn't have automatically refresh feature, you can utilize the Chrome browser auto refresh add-in.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it is not working then also.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Direct Query does not refresh reports or dashboards, Direct Query live queries the data at the time of rendering. There may be a caching issue involved here but the more likely cause is that when a tile is pinned to a dashboard, it retains the exact context in which it was pinned. Generally, that is the cause of a dashboard tile not displaying the "correct" information.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the quick response. I perhaps was using the incorrect terminology for refresh and direct query. My Dashboard and Report are using the same exact data set. The Dashboard countinously live queries every 15 minutes. The Report does not live query at all even though both the report and the dashboard have the same refresh schedule to update with a live query every 15 minutes.

I guess my ultimate question is, can Power BI reports be setup to do a Direct Query live query every 15 minutes? I know Dashboards can since I can get that to work.

Hi @Kdillon,

If we use DirectQuery to get data, when we interact with a visualization, queries are sent from Power BI directly to the database. Updated data is then returned and visualizations are updated.

So when you add new records in source table, you need to interact with the report visual, click the Refresh, or refresh the browser to make updated data display. As currently report page doesn't have automatically refresh feature, you can utilize the Chrome browser auto refresh add-in.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors