Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Design Question - Upload File, to merge/use w/ Existing PBI Report Built from Cube

Hello,

I have drafted out an elaborate SSIS and SSAS plan to pick up a flat file, load and integrate into a cube, so a report can be enhanced with a users certain account numbers to associate with the data cubes accounts numbers. A fancy way to do SQL Joins if it were.

Can I do this in a much simpler way with Power BI Desktop or Service, where the user can upload their file (flat or Excel), and bring that data into an existing report they have called up that is built off a cube, then they can use the Power BI tool to manipulate the flat file to be merged in to the existing report and do the samething as a SQL Join and there would be no need for such hard work around SSIS and SSAS modifications?

Many Thanks,

JPQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jpquinn You mention cube, so I assume the Power BI Report is using Live Connection, if that is the case, then "no", you can't import data and have a live connection to the cube. The connection type must remain the same and is a singular connection when connected to SSAS.

If the user is importing from the cube (don't see the relevance of this) then yes the user could have a seperate data source and create a relationship between objects in the Power BI file, or merge/manipulate in whatever way needed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@jpquinn You mention cube, so I assume the Power BI Report is using Live Connection, if that is the case, then "no", you can't import data and have a live connection to the cube. The connection type must remain the same and is a singular connection when connected to SSAS.

If the user is importing from the cube (don't see the relevance of this) then yes the user could have a seperate data source and create a relationship between objects in the Power BI file, or merge/manipulate in whatever way needed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for this fast feedback. Yes, it would be Live Connection. So I guess I'm stuck going through with the original plan of SSIS/SSAS route and set it more in concrete.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors