Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robgar

Dataset Refresh and Pubishing Questions

I'm new to PBI.  I am a remote user not on any corp network.   I have built in PDI Desktop a report that uses a XLS located in my O365 Sharepoint Document library.  I use a http address for my data source.  I have published that report to my PIB workspace.  It works great.

What expectations should I have regarding dataset refreshes when I make changes to that same report in PBI Desktop? I know I can force a refresh using the PBI website, but I never see changes to the report (like when adding a new query table to the report).  In fact, manual refreshes say "success" .. no errors.

Since my data source is in the cloud (using web URL to filename) I assumed I didn't need PBI Pro or a gateway.  Did I assume correctly?

Of course if I republish the report, changes do appear, so my question there is .. does that alter the URL users will go to to view the data .. on other wrods do I have to keep resending them a new URL and QR Code?

Thanks folks.  Lots of refresh questions posted online .. I'm just not seeing a clear answer to mine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello again,
Why are you updating the data immediatley in PBI Desktop? Doing that will require a re-publish. Maybe update a database? 

or what you can do is save the PBI desktop file on OneDrive, and then you can set up a OneDrive refresh. 

Here's how you can do it:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-powerbi-desktop-files/#where-your-...

Then you can click on the dataset and schedule a refresh and choose "OneDrive refresh". That should work!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

If it's in an online SharePoint data source, you're correct assuming no gateway is needed.
Refreshing the report only refreshes the visuals, you will want to refresh the dataset to get the new data reflected. Depending on the data source you can do manually do it, or it can automatically refresh when you make changes. 

I appreciate the clarification. This is what I'm doing\seeing:

1. Create report in PIB Desktop, then publish to My Workspace
  2. Go to app.powerbi.com and see the newly published dataset and report
  3. Publish to Web
  4. Good so far ..
  5. Go back into PIB Desktop and add a New Query Table to the existing report .. Save
  6. My assumption is that I should be able to to go app.powerbi.com and manually refresh the dataset (and report) and see the updated table fields .. I do not .. even after 24+ hours.  Do I have to manually publish from PIB Desktop anytime I make a change, thus replacing the existing dataset in My Workspace?  If I have to re-publish to my workspace, do I also have to re-publish to the web - and does that give me a new URL\QR code or leave the existing ones for users to reference?

Thanks!

Hello again,
Why are you updating the data immediatley in PBI Desktop? Doing that will require a re-publish. Maybe update a database? 

or what you can do is save the PBI desktop file on OneDrive, and then you can set up a OneDrive refresh. 

Here's how you can do it:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-powerbi-desktop-files/#where-your-...

Then you can click on the dataset and schedule a refresh and choose "OneDrive refresh". That should work!

Thanks!  I edit in PIB Desktpo beasue it's more suitable for the changes I need to make.  Following your link seems promising and I have set it up that way.  I suspect I'm good to go.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors