Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patrickhofman

DataSource.Error when connecting to ADO.NET provider

I have been working on an own implementation of ADO.NET. It works quite well from Visual Studio, etc. but now I want to use it in Power BI Desktop.

I have registered the provider in the machine.config already (both platforms) and have copied all relevant assemblies into the GAC. Now I was finally able to go around the first few error messages Power BI gave me, but now I am stuck at this one:

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: values'
Details:
DataSourceKind=AdoDotNet
DataSourcePath=MyOwnProvider/param1=Something

Now it seems to me this is a standard .NET error message, so that would be easy to solve if I know where it went wrong. Unfortunately I have found no way to diagnose the issue yet. I have tried using Visual Studio to debug Power BI (which seems to have successfully loaded my assembly). I have tried to use DebugView and ProcMon to see what happens, but all failed to give me anything useful.

How to diagnose what actually went wrong? How to get a detailed log, call stack, or whatever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @patrickhofman,

Based on your description, you specify ADO.NET provider as data source in Power BI Desktop, right? If that is the case, could you please post a screenshot about that how you connect to the ADO.NET data source from Power BI Desktop?  In this official article, I haven’t found that  ADO.NET provider is included in the supported data source list.

In addition, you can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to your data source and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hnlopez
Regular Visitor

Hola, a mí lo que me funcionó fue hacer instalar pycaret de esta manera: pip install -U --pre pycaret y fue siguiendo lo comentado en la siguiente direccion: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72581460/installing-pycaret-library-not-completed-due-to-an-erro...

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @patrickhofman,

Based on your description, you specify ADO.NET provider as data source in Power BI Desktop, right? If that is the case, could you please post a screenshot about that how you connect to the ADO.NET data source from Power BI Desktop?  In this official article, I haven’t found that  ADO.NET provider is included in the supported data source list.

In addition, you can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to your data source and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How can I specify a adodb connection from Microsoft PowerBI --?

import adodbapi,

I am using python library to connect to  a datasource like this
"Provider=PIOLEDB;Data Source=serverIP;Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI"

adodbapi 2.6.0.7
A pure Python package implementing PEP 249 DB-API using Microsoft ADO.

I see there is a M powerquery function to connect

AdoDotNet.Query(providerName as text, connectionString as any, query as text, optional options as nullable record) as table

Thanks @Lydia, that was very helpful. I have got things working now, so thanks a lot for your help.

I have put some personal side marks to the answer I gave on the Stack Overflow question I have asked regarding the same issue. You can find it here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors