Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

patrickhofman

DataSource.Error when connecting to ADO.NET provider

I have been working on an own implementation of ADO.NET. It works quite well from Visual Studio, etc. but now I want to use it in Power BI Desktop.

I have registered the provider in the machine.config already (both platforms) and have copied all relevant assemblies into the GAC. Now I was finally able to go around the first few error messages Power BI gave me, but now I am stuck at this one:

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: values'
Details:
DataSourceKind=AdoDotNet
DataSourcePath=MyOwnProvider/param1=Something

Now it seems to me this is a standard .NET error message, so that would be easy to solve if I know where it went wrong. Unfortunately I have found no way to diagnose the issue yet. I have tried using Visual Studio to debug Power BI (which seems to have successfully loaded my assembly). I have tried to use DebugView and ProcMon to see what happens, but all failed to give me anything useful.

How to diagnose what actually went wrong? How to get a detailed log, call stack, or whatever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @patrickhofman,

Based on your description, you specify ADO.NET provider as data source in Power BI Desktop, right? If that is the case, could you please post a screenshot about that how you connect to the ADO.NET data source from Power BI Desktop?  In this official article, I haven’t found that  ADO.NET provider is included in the supported data source list.

In addition, you can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to your data source and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hnlopez
Regular Visitor

Hola, a mí lo que me funcionó fue hacer instalar pycaret de esta manera: pip install -U --pre pycaret y fue siguiendo lo comentado en la siguiente direccion: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72581460/installing-pycaret-library-not-completed-due-to-an-erro...

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @patrickhofman,

Based on your description, you specify ADO.NET provider as data source in Power BI Desktop, right? If that is the case, could you please post a screenshot about that how you connect to the ADO.NET data source from Power BI Desktop?  In this official article, I haven’t found that  ADO.NET provider is included in the supported data source list.

In addition, you can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to your data source and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How can I specify a adodb connection from Microsoft PowerBI --?

import adodbapi,

I am using python library to connect to  a datasource like this
"Provider=PIOLEDB;Data Source=serverIP;Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI"

adodbapi 2.6.0.7
A pure Python package implementing PEP 249 DB-API using Microsoft ADO.

I see there is a M powerquery function to connect

AdoDotNet.Query(providerName as text, connectionString as any, query as text, optional options as nullable record) as table

Thanks @Lydia, that was very helpful. I have got things working now, so thanks a lot for your help.

I have put some personal side marks to the answer I gave on the Stack Overflow question I have asked regarding the same issue. You can find it here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors