Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SoulCuber
Frequent Visitor

Data update via web UI

Hi folks,

I built a report/dashboard in Power BI desktop and published it to the web. The report is linked to an Azure database. I shared the report to end-users who access via the web. After the dataset has been updated, I would like end-users to be able to refresh via the Power BI web UI and see the report with the updated data. I have tried as an end-user and I can update the data set as well as import data, but unfortunately the old report remains. If I update via my own Power BI desktop and publish again, then the updated report becomes available to end-users, but that is not a sustainable method. What is the proper way to deal with this situation? I would greatly appreciate any help! Many thanks in advance...

8 REPLIES 8
SoulCuber
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer and @v-qiuyu-msft,

Many thanks for your help. It took me a while for testing your suggestions and I have been successful with the update via refresh as well as the scheduled update. Unfortunately, I was not able to set up a directquery. This seems a good solution for my situation. Is it possible to do this for an SQL database on Azure? Do I need a special setup for this? I would really appreciate your feedback. many thanks in advance...

@SoulCuber To utilize direct query from Azure SQL DB - you can just connect to it in direct query mode from the desktop, create your reports and publish. When you use Azure SQL DB it doesn't require a gateway, so this should just automatically work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Thanks for the response. I tried via desktop to change data source settings for the active database and unfortunately the directquery option is greyed out... Any ideas why?

biscreen.png

@SoulCuber Either you started by using the "import" connection type, or you have another data source you are connected to. In either case, you need to open a new Desktop file and start over if you were using "Import" because you can't change from import to DQ.

You CAN change from DQ to Import, but that is the only direction that is accepted.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, thanks for the reply. That was very helpful. I tried rebuilding my report from scratch with DirectQuery. However, various transformations are not allowed in DirectQuery mode. For instance, it does not accept "Append Query". It seems that I cannot build the reports I want in DirectQuery. Is this a fact or are there alternative ways? Look forward to hear your ideas...

@SoulCuber Yeah, all the neat "Power Query" functions for data manipulation and transformation are disabled in DQ. The approach I take with DQ is to build views in the database. This allows me to 1) only pull the columns I need and 2) change the data to match what I want returned to make modeling easier. So the Views serve as the transform layer.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SoulCuber,

As @SoulCuber suggested, you can create schedule refresh in Power BI service if you connect to Azure SQL database in Import mode. See: Configuring scheduled refresh.

If it's DirectQuery mode, you can take a look at this article: Databases in the cloud.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@SoulCuber The report creator (you) owns the refreshing of a report. You can schedule a refresh up to 8x per day for imported data. Otherwise you could use Direct Query, and this would show your end users the data in the database without the need for a refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors