Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Eagle

Data model in excel cannot be loaded

Guys, hope it is right forum.

I have a problem with Data model in excel 2016 64bits. It happened to me two times in five days. In data model i have connected loaded queries. File is not complicated at all. Simple, few tables and few relationships. 

I am working in data model for two years, and besides occasional glitches I have never had problems like now.

Suddenly, when I am trying to refresh model, it throws error that data model cannot be loaded. Something like this. I am ussualy restarting pc after this, but after that even a blank file gives same message when trying to enter Data model. Basically, my excel can be only recovered with reinstalling office. It is problem for me to reinstall it few times in few days. This is not solution. I want to know reason and solution for this. I googled it, and it is visible that some people have expirienced it, but every solution ( group users, trying to switch off powerpivot restart...) is not helping. 

Guys, please help.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Eagle,

As the issue is related to Excel, I would recommend you post the question in the Excel IT Pro Discussions forum. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Eagle, 

There is a feature in Excel that allows you to query off of a PowerPivot model, but it's not highly advertised for some reason.

Once you have the data in your PowerPivot model, go to your Excel -> Data tab -> Existing Connections -> Tables tab

From there, choose the table that you want to start with. Once that table's data is on your excel sheet, you can actually right click that table -> go to "Table" -> "Edit DAX"

From there you can enter the following DAX function, as an example

EVALUATE
FILTER(SampleData,[Date]=DATE(2016,1,1) && SampleData[Division]="Alpha")

Make sure to choose Command Type=DAX in the drop-down. Here's how it looks on my screen:

enter image description here

To further improve your querying power, you can install the optional "DAX Studio" plugin for Excel, which allows you to write custom DAX queries and then export the results directly back to an Excel sheet.

Thanks & Regards

Elena Lauren

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors