Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

russelljeff
Regular Visitor

Data Linked to SharePoint - Delete File

I have a dataset that is linked to an excel file on SharePoint.

If I delete the file on SharePoint and then upload a new version with the same name then I receive the following email (see below).

Is this a bug?

OneDrive refresh ..  has been disabled. You can learn about common reasons refresh fails in our help topics or reach out to our Community for help. As always, you can also contact support.

If you contact support for this issue, please provide them with the following information:

Activity Id: 8192564d-0d34-430d-95a7-ff0720f57cc4

Request Id: b8c28877-49ac-46d9-90c0-2e7526c113e7

Cluster Name: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Refresh Start Time: 05/15/2017 09:34:26Z

Refresh End Time: 05/15/2017 09:34:28Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @russelljeff,

It is not a bug. It doesn't support to refresh your dataset when you delete file and upload it again.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @russelljeff,

I am not able to reproduce your issue, could you please elaborate that how you connect to the Excel file stored on SharePoint in Power BI? Also if you use Power BI Desktop in this scenario, where do you store the PBIX file and how do you upload the PBIX file to Power BI Service?

Besides, could you please click “Refresh Now” in Power BI Service and check if it is successful?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Power BI Service (Free not Pro licence). I'm uploading data from SharePoint (using GetData). The file is an Excel file. I'm not using Power BI Desktop.

If tested the following scenarios:

1) I make a change to the Excel file stored on SharePoint. Power Bi automatically updates as expected.

2) I take a copy of the Excel file that is stored on SharePoint, delete the one on SharePoint and then upload my copy back to the same location on SharePoint. Power trys to automatically updates and files producing the error give in my previous post.

Is this a bug?

Thanks

Russell

Hi @russelljeff,

In your first scenario, Power BI Service is unable to find the original link of Excel file and thus OneDrive refresh fails.

When you want to update Excel file stored on SharePoint, don't delete the Excel on SharePoint. Just upload your updated Excel file to SharePoint and replace the existing Excel file, this way, OneDrive refresh should success.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia

Thanks for your reply. I understand your solution and this is what I have been doing. My question is - is it a bug that if I delete the file then a refresh is not possible if the same is copied into the same location with the same name after deletion. If its not a bug and is intential then its probably worth making it clear in the Power BI guides.

Thanks

Russell

Hi @russelljeff,

It is not a bug. It doesn't support to refresh your dataset when you delete file and upload it again.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors