Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gabrielhausegge

Data Gateway in Online Power BI

Hey all!

I have installed the on-premisis data gateway on my SQL-Server, and also logged in to my power bi account.

In my online Power Bi i can see the gateway, it works.

I have linked a sql database (databasename, user pwd, server) and the connection is also available.

Now i tried to add a dataset but i can't find the sql-data. (I tried under the point (SQL Server Analysis Services).

It tells me "No Resources found"

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gabrielhausegge Once you've data gateway setup and ready, you should use power bi desktop to connect to your data source, build reports and then publish to power bi service. Once published to power bi service then you have to configure your gateway and add that datasource (that is used in power bi report). 

View solution in original post

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@gabrielhausegge

There is certain distinction for connecting to SQL data sources. Are you connecting to an on-premises SQL Server or an on-premises SQL Server Analysis Services instance? 

Also the connection method varies as well. Is it a live, DirectQuery or static (import) connection?

Based on your original post, it sounds like you are connecting to an on-premises SQL Server which can only be done in Power BI Desktop as @ankitpatira mentioned.

If you have an on-premise SQL Server Analysis Server instance that you can connect to, then the connector through the Power BI Service should be usable. Regardless though, Power BI Desktop should be used for all your development needs as that is the platform with most if not all the features.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@gabrielhausegge

There is certain distinction for connecting to SQL data sources. Are you connecting to an on-premises SQL Server or an on-premises SQL Server Analysis Services instance? 

Also the connection method varies as well. Is it a live, DirectQuery or static (import) connection?

Based on your original post, it sounds like you are connecting to an on-premises SQL Server which can only be done in Power BI Desktop as @ankitpatira mentioned.

If you have an on-premise SQL Server Analysis Server instance that you can connect to, then the connector through the Power BI Service should be usable. Regardless though, Power BI Desktop should be used for all your development needs as that is the platform with most if not all the features.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gabrielhausegge Once you've data gateway setup and ready, you should use power bi desktop to connect to your data source, build reports and then publish to power bi service. Once published to power bi service then you have to configure your gateway and add that datasource (that is used in power bi report). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors