Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adrianrog

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError

I'm trying to set up a PowerBI datasource.   The Data Gateway is a separate server from the SQL servers I want to use.  I created a dedicated AD service account for this purpose.  When I try to create a Power BI datasource, I get the error message at the bottom of this post.  The username/password I'm using are correct.  They work fine if I start management studio using those credentials and the credentials do indeed have access to the database I'm trying to create a data source for.  How would I go about troubleshooting this problem?  I can't find any relevant info on the internet.  I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to sqlserverxyz.domainxyz.com. Details: "Invalid connection credentials."Hide details

Activity ID:853e6628-dc5e-c8e3-cdd5-xxxxxxxxxxxx
Request ID:14b9262f-f91e-c971-8662-xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cluster URI:https://xxxx-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError
Time:Tue Aug 09 2016 10:43:12 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version:13.0.1500.566
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just went back to try it again so that I could get a screenshot of the setup and it seems to be working now. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @adrianrog,

Could you please post a screenshot about your scenario? We need to know that which Authentication Method you choose when adding data source and the format of your account .

In addition, please make sure that the account being used matches the Authentication Method. Moreover, if you choose Windows Authentication Method, please install the gateway in a domain joined machine, which is in the same domain  as the server running SQL Server instance.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are getting the same error.

We have created a separate SSAS server and have not joined in our current domain.

The gateway gets connected successfully to the SSAS server in the domain.

So we decided to see what happens for a SSAS server not in the domain and we get this error.

Is there any workaround?

I just went back to try it again so that I could get a screenshot of the setup and it seems to be working now. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors