Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

dsullivan
Regular Visitor

Connection to Excel Table Stops Working

I created an excel file that we want to allow users to look at reporting for through Power BI.  The excel file has a single table and is maintained by a person with whom I shared it to on Onedrive for business.

When I initially created the file it connected it to PowerBI it worked perfectly.  I tested changing the data, adding/removing rows fromt the table, etc.  Everything worked fine.  A few days later I went back to look and all the tiles had errors.  The first time I opened it, all 5 tiles were broken.  Now 4 of the tiles show (although as you can see the fields show errors) and just one is broken fully.

The error message is...

Something's wrong with one or more fields: (_Birchwood Acquisition Pipeline - Current) LAST STATUS, (_Birchwood Acquisition Pipeline - Current) Portfolio Name, (_Birchwood Acquisition Pipeline - Current) Purchase Price
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

I've gone back to look at the file and it doesn't appear that any of the headers have been changed or that there is any invalid data in the table.  

failed2.jpg

What is going on here?  It seems like Power BI isn't ready for prime time yet to me.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dsullivan Most likely that error 'Something went wrong with one or more fields' means something has changed with metadata that has caused it to fail. Since you've got large number of fields I would suggest rather than figuring out what is wrong there in power bi service, open up pbix file for the report and do refresh there. It will throw error if it is unable to refresh and you can go to query editor to have more advanced look at what went wrong. 

In my opinion I have seen those type of errors (error sign instead of field name under Values section) when during refresh file isn't accessible ie moved to new folder or new tab or something like that.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aflores
Frequent Visitor

I did the same. Created an excel connected to my Power BI report. The problem I have is that for some columns, the numbers in the excel don't match. I have no clue on what is going on.

Any Ideas?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dsullivan Most likely that error 'Something went wrong with one or more fields' means something has changed with metadata that has caused it to fail. Since you've got large number of fields I would suggest rather than figuring out what is wrong there in power bi service, open up pbix file for the report and do refresh there. It will throw error if it is unable to refresh and you can go to query editor to have more advanced look at what went wrong. 

In my opinion I have seen those type of errors (error sign instead of field name under Values section) when during refresh file isn't accessible ie moved to new folder or new tab or something like that.

I ended up just rebuilding the project, but next time this happens I'll try this.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors