Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection problems with MySql database

Good morning to all
It happens that I am trying to connect to a server that was installed xampp as a database manager, at the time of making the connection it indicates the following error:

Sin título.png

Already try to make the modification from options and settings> data source settings, with the domain account and the user of the database and nothing I can not connect successfully.

I greatly appreciate if you can help me with this problem.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous,

Firstly, are you able to connect to the database through MySQL workbench? Make sure that MySQL workbench is installed on the same machine with Power BI Desktop. If the connection fails, please follow the guide in this blog to troubleshoot this issue.

Secondly, if you are able to connect to database using MySQL workbench, please use same connection parameters in Power BI Desktop, and also add port number with server name to connect to MySQL.

Thirdly, ensure that you install MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your v-yuezhe-msft indications, were the basis for finding the solution.
The solution is:
> Install the MySQL Connector / Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows Connector on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
> After this you must create a user with access permissions to the database, in this case I use phpmyadmin, which is the default manager in xampp

EjemploUser.png

It is very important that the user on behalf of the server is created as%, so you can access from any client, as shown in the example. If you want to give access only from certain clients, you must enter the corresponding hostname.

>In Power Bi, make the connection from the Database tab, with the previously created user, password and database access level.

I hope these steps are useful for someone else and I thank all those who contributed me to the solution

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've never been able to connect to a MySQL database with domain credentials, only database credentials.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for such a quick response.

I continue investigating the subject in the link that you kindly indicate. When you perform the connection with user authentication at the database level, the following happens:

error credencial especifica.jpg

Hi @Anonymous,

Firstly, are you able to connect to the database through MySQL workbench? Make sure that MySQL workbench is installed on the same machine with Power BI Desktop. If the connection fails, please follow the guide in this blog to troubleshoot this issue.

Secondly, if you are able to connect to database using MySQL workbench, please use same connection parameters in Power BI Desktop, and also add port number with server name to connect to MySQL.

Thirdly, ensure that you install MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your v-yuezhe-msft indications, were the basis for finding the solution.
The solution is:
> Install the MySQL Connector / Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows Connector on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
> After this you must create a user with access permissions to the database, in this case I use phpmyadmin, which is the default manager in xampp

EjemploUser.png

It is very important that the user on behalf of the server is created as%, so you can access from any client, as shown in the example. If you want to give access only from certain clients, you must enter the corresponding hostname.

>In Power Bi, make the connection from the Database tab, with the previously created user, password and database access level.

I hope these steps are useful for someone else and I thank all those who contributed me to the solution

Hi,

Thanks for your solution which I just referred.

I have given this previlege to my user id. 

Actually, this database maintained in our company server which needs access rights  for me.

I gained that access too just now. Now, I have 2 user id and passwords for me.

Is there any solution to access that database which is in server?

During power bi connection, it is asking, user id and password. Which one is I need to provide?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gracias por una respuesta tan rapida.

Sigo investigando el tema en el link que muy amablemente indicas. Al realizar la conexion con autenticacion de usuario a nivel de base de datos pasa lo siguiente:

error credencial especifica.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors