Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

pierrebijl

Connection Strava

Hello,

I would like to connect to my strava-account and get all my data of my activities.

I'm really using Power BI a lot lately and I like to practice more for usage at work and it would be great to do it with a huge database of my cycling activities.

Any help would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bmalfait
Frequent Visitor
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Flink to download Strava Activity Data

@pierrebijl For a simpler solution than building the Power BI-Strava Connector is to download Excel/CSV from https://flink.run
One can donwload All or Custom data fields of activities and also connect to Googe drive, its a good Dashboard site compatible with Strava.

One can also try connecting to GDrive and use Google Data studio for live activity Dashboard experience.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply! But I don't think this is the right way. Essence of Power BI I think is easy quick access to your data. The excel extract from Strava is very slow and limited on a data perspective (takes over an hour before it is send by email). The connector is much easier, update takes seconds and the data is more specific, also on single rides. Only problem is Strava, it worked for a long time. But they changed something a few months ago why the connector had to be made again on a different coding. Further it worked awesome. 

bmalfait
Frequent Visitor

This seems great! Thanks!
mcolb88
Helper III
Helper III

I've done tgis with the Strava-API and a web connection in Power BI. Pretty straightforward, good use of M in translating JSON data to tables.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pierrebijl,

I am not familiar with Strava.

According to this submitted idea, Power BI doesn’t import gpx files from Strava properly. However, based on my research, there are some workarounds for this issue.

For example, you can consider to convert GPX files from Strava to CSV file following the instructions in this blog, then import the CSV file to Power BI Desktop, create report and publish it to Power BI Service.

Another method is to connect Power BI to your Strava account using the Strava API and JSON. For more details, please review this blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia,

I found that one too, but there is no explanation.
I like to have an "live" connection with Power BI.
So when I went cycling and I connect to my Power BI page and refresh I have an updated overview.
All the API stuff is coding and I don't understand where I can use coding. I don't want to make a program or any kind or executable.
Just a connection to a database???
Would be great if anyone could help.

Hi @pierrebijl,

I would recommend you vote the above idea as there is no easy method to directly connect to the database in Power BI.

And personally, I would suggest you convert the files to CSV and conect to the CSV from Power BI. Regarding to the API code issue, you can contact the author of the above blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors