Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect Sql DB -SSAS-Power BI Service

I am implementing Power BI service (reporting system ) in Professional year project,  We have 6 databases hosted on SQL Server( on premise)

Step 1:   Plan is to connect all 6 databases to SSAS(On premise)

Step 2: Connect SSAS to Power BI Service.

I have following doubts, can you please help me.

1. Can I connect all 6 databases to SSAS and keep data updated(automatically).

2. What tools I need to move data from SQl DB to SSAS?

3. Do I need to install on-premise gateway to connect SSAS with Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

To answer your questions below.

1. Yes you can certainly use SSAS to connect to all 6 databases. If you are using SSAS Tabular it is a quick and simple process to get the data from your SQL Server Tables into SSAS Tabular.

2. If you are doing an exact copy of the tables, SSAS Tabular will do the data movement for you.

3. Yes you will need to install and configure the On-Premise Gateway on your internal network. Once that is configured you can then connect from the Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop to your SSAS Tabular.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi

If you are using SSAS Tabular then Visual Studio is your only option and best option as well

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Adding to other’s post, why not directly connect to SQL Server databases in Power BI Desktop? You are able to create reports in Power BI Desktop, and publish the reports to Power BI Service. Moreover, you can use gateway to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestion, it is a requirement of my company to have SSAS in between live database and client application.

Thanks

Mazhar

Hi there.

It all depends if you want all your data to be together or not.

You can connect to the databases directly with the on premises Gateway

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

To answer your questions below.

1. Yes you can certainly use SSAS to connect to all 6 databases. If you are using SSAS Tabular it is a quick and simple process to get the data from your SQL Server Tables into SSAS Tabular.

2. If you are doing an exact copy of the tables, SSAS Tabular will do the data movement for you.

3. Yes you will need to install and configure the On-Premise Gateway on your internal network. Once that is configured you can then connect from the Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop to your SSAS Tabular.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guavaq,

Thanks for all the suggestions and your help. In your last replay you said about putting data together, so if I connect all 6 DB to SSAS through Tabular module project. I can't connect do consolidated reports ?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Mazhar(Intern)

Hi @Anonymous

If I understand your question correctly, yes you can put all the data together from various database sources into your SSAS Tabular Project.

Then you can connect Power BI to your SSAS Tabular Server and view the data.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help!

To to move data from SQL Server to SSAS, which is good way

1.  SSMS Tabular project.

2. SSIS.

Please advice on this thanks.

Hi

If you are using SSAS Tabular then Visual Studio is your only option and best option as well

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am implementing Power BI service (reporting system ) in Professional year project,  We have 6 databases hosted on SQL Server on premise.

Step 1:   Plan is to connect all 6 databases to SSAS(On premise)

Step 2: Connect SSAS to Power BI Service.

I have following doubts, can any one guide me

1. What is the best way to move and update data from 6 SQL Server DB to SSAS?

2. Is SSAS, stores all the data?

3. If SSAS is configured on-premise, to connect to Power BI service, do I need to install on-premise gateway on same on-premise server?

Thanks

maz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors