Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

niko159

Connaot connect to Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Hi,

I am trying to connect an Azure Data Warehouse from PowerBI but cannot make the connection.

When I try from PowerBI Desktop using Windows or Microsoft Account I got the following:

We are unable to make the connection, please check connection authentication.

I got the same when I use the PowerBI button from the Azure Portal.

When using the Database to enter credentials from PowerBI Desktop I got the following:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server 'eu' requested by the login. Client with IP address 'xxxx'is not allowed to access the server.  To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range.  It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect."

I am sure that the IP is declared on Azure since I can connect to it from SSMS on the same IP.

I am stuck here and would welcome some help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@niko159,

What authentication type do you use in SSMS and are you able to query the target database in SSMS? If you use SQL Server Authentication, in Power BI Desktop, you would need to use Database type authentication, and the username will be a user that is defined in your Azure SQL Data Warehouse instance.

In addition, please use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(April update).

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I'm using Active Directory Password to connect through SSMS.

I downloaded PowerBI desktop yesterday I then imagien that I am on the latest version.

Nicolas

Anonymous
Not applicable

@niko159  Are you working from a location that makes use of a Proxy Server in order to connect to the internet?  I have a similar issue whereby our Firewall will block our outgoing connections if they try to directly access places on the internet.  The Power BI Desktop program is not proxy aware, and doesn't use the Proxy configuration that everything else installed on my computer would use.

As such, my Power BI Desktop is blocked by the firewall from access in the Azure Data Warehouse.  To get around this problem, I use an Azure VM to do the work i need out of these databases.

Hi,

I am not connected to the internet via a proxy so that's the issue. Thanks for the hint though.

Nicolas

niko159

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Azure Data Warehouse but I cannot connect in any ways. I can connect fine through SSMS on the same machine, but I always got an error message when I try through PowerBI.

I get the following when I try to connect with Windows authentication, Microsoft Account through PowerBI Desktop or from the PowerBI button in the Azure Portal:

We are unable to establish connection, please check connection information.

When trying with Database login from PowerBI Desktop I got a slightly different message:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server 'eu' requested by the login. Client with IP address 'xxxxxxxxxx' is not allowed to access the server.  To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range.  It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect."

However my IP address is enabled on and I connect fine to SSMS from the same IP.

Thanks for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors