Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlejoSQL

Choosing a specific folder as source down in Azure Blob storage folder hierarchy

HI all:

One question : I am trying to read json files from a particular folder (9 levels deep) in Azure Blob storage folder. -In other words, it is not a root folder-

I tried

1) Fiddling with

Source = AzureStorage.Blobs("https://storageaccount.blob.core.windows.net:443"),
#"alldata" = Source{[Name="rootfolderinblobstorage/folder1/folder2/Desiredfolder"]}[Data],

this threw an error stating that the path was not representing a valid azure resource ...

2) so I tried "ok, get everything -inefficient- , and filter locally"

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"alldata", each Text.StartsWith([Name], "/folder1/folder2/Desiredfolder"))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

but this threw an "access to the resource is forbidden" message and asked me for the token again (providing it does nothing and the message persists)

Any ideas anyone? Am I missing something totally obvious?

Thank you all!

Alejandro Leguizamo

2 REPLIES 2
laltripti22
Frequent Visitor

Could you find a solution to this?

mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I haven't done much with Azure Blob storage specifically, but I've seen similar issues with other sources (even SQL). My default hack is to add a Table.Buffer step, e.g. after your alldata step:

Table.Buffer ( #"alldata" )

From my understanding that forces PQ to stop "Query Folding" (interpreting downstream steps and sending their logic up to the data source ).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors